Sunday, December 15, 2019

What a Dumb Way to Celebrate


Each Fourth of July the United States of America celebrates Independence Day.  In the morning there are parades everywhere.  In the afternoon there are community gatherings, picnics, and re-enactments of independence events.  And at night there are firework displays to light the night sky and bring joy to hearts.  This certainly is a day to celebrate, and everyone does.
But, … what if there were a much more important day?  MUCH, MUCH, more important?  What if it were the most important day not in the history of our country, but in the history of the entire world?  What if there were a spectacular event that benefitted each and every human being that ever lived?  Each year, how would we celebrate THAT DAY, THE most important day in our history to remember?
Well, there is such a day: it is the day God began the most wonderful thing for all men; He came into this world.  That day was not just the start of a better earthly life for people, but the start of their being offered eternal life, happiness without end!  Holy cow!  Certainly, we should celebrate that day!
And we do.  We celebrate with perhaps a one-hour church service, and then lock the church doors, to leave Jesus alone on His birthday.  On Christmas Day, His house is empty.  What kind of birthday party is that? 
More and more, this eats at me.  What a dumb way to celebrate the most important day in the history of the world.  I don’t understand.  The Birthday Boy is left alone, while we celebrate HIS birthday without Him, and I wonder what He thinks of “our” celebration?
I wonder how we could better celebrate, with Him, this day, and give Him a birthday present that He could open with joy: “What!! You did this for Me??”
I wonder.
- - - - - - - - - -
I had thoughts of sharing these thoughts with local parish priests I know.  I wanted to dig at them, to tell them of these thoughts which came to me in the chapel.  I wanted to prod them to do something. 
Until this morning.
The Second Reading at mass this morning cut me down to size:
Be patient, therefore, brethren, until the coming of the Lord.  Behold, the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient over it until it receives the early and late rain.  You also be patient.  Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.  Do not grumble, brethren, against one another, that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the doors.  As an example of suffering and patience, brethren, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.        Jas 5:7-10
The Lord put into MY heart these thoughts.  I will find a way, myself, to better celebrate the birthday of my Lord.  And He will know what I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment