Monday, October 5, 2009

Cancer -- Oh No!!

Your mom is getting on in years. Her coordination is getting worse: she shouldn’t be driving! Her hearing is getting worse: she won’t get a hearing aid! She repeats herself so often: doesn’t she know how annoying that is!

She was diagnosed with cancer: Can’t she arrange her chemo appointments to consider my work schedule?

I understand. I’ve been there. Now you need to understand.

My mom has lived longer than I ever expected. My time with her has proven to be a blessing – for ME. I’ve learned to use this time well – to appreciate what a blessing she was in my life. To appreciate what a blessing she IS in my life.

You need to learn.

This time you are given with your mom is a blessing. She could have died in a car crash. She could have died in bed of a heart attack. I think we sometimes believe this quick death would be a blessing for them – and perhaps it would. But it would be a tragedy for us, one we might never recover from, an opportunity to make ourselves, our lives, better.

If you have time with an aging, dying parent, spouse, or child, it is a blessing – for YOU! Don’t waste the time in anger, in bitterness. Accept the blessing, and thank God for the time YOU were given.

Cancer of a loved one may not seem to be a blessing for them. God, in his wisdom and will, however, may be using it as a blessing for YOU. This may not be really about them; it may be about YOU!

Give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment