Saturday, October 10, 2009

Do I Have A Vocation to Religious Life?

I visited another city and went to mass. This is an excerpt from a letter I later wrote to the pastor of that church:

Orig: 10/16/04

A few years back I attended a weekend conference at Notre Dame, and saw something I will never forget for the rest of my life. Over 3,000 people attended the conference, and as was typical at such events there were booksellers, etc. galore. Looking at their wares on the Saturday morning, I saw a small display from a monastery in Wisconsin asking people to sign up to attend a weekend focused on vocation discernment. Not surprisingly, there were only 2 names on the list. What was surprising were the events that followed. That afternoon a priest gave a talk about Faith—as you did. At the end, he asked those who had at one time thought about religious life, but had never done anything about it to raise their hand. A few dozen were raised. But then he did something surprising. He said, “That’s not good enough. I want you to commit here and now that you WILL do something about that small calling you heard. I want you to walk down here to this stage, and make a commitment to these gathered people, and to God, that you WILL take the time to seriously ask Him: ‘Are you calling me to a religious vocation?’” With further prodding, a few began to walk down to the stage, but THEN, to my great surprise, a veritable flood of people began walking forward. Well over 300 people jammed the front of the auditorium, prayed, and pledged to God to investigate His call. To be honest, despite my shock, I doubted they’d follow through with their commitment. I know human weaknesses.

The next morning, wandering through the booksellers outside the auditorium, I again passed the Wisconsin monastery display. “How’s things going”, I asked. The man behind the display said: “If you want to sign up for the vocation discernment weekend, we cut off at our 120 limit, but we have 50 names on a list, and as soon as we can arrange for another weekend, we’ll give you a call”. I don’t think I answered him. I just walked away stunned! All the speaker did was sincerely ask, and hundreds came forward and took concrete actions to discern if they had a vocation. I thought I know how humans would react. I learned how just little faith I had.

Last Sunday, you delivered a homily on Faith, then announced a meeting of laity on what to do about priest shortages. So I assume you know that to be an inevitable fact, and you must do something about it. You spoke of Faith, then demonstrated so little of it. I don’t pretend to have definitive answers to what is happening to vocations in this country; everyone has their ideas. What I do have is some talents that God has blessed me with, a strong business acumen, and a very tiny amount of Wisdom, inspired by His Holy Spirit. I have seen what a little preparation, a heartfelt sermon, and a sincere asking of individuals can accomplish towards an increase in vocations. I have seen dioceses where vocations far outstrip the size of the diocese – in business I know to learn from and benchmark others’ successes. And I have learned how little I really know of God’s plans, and how much I can trust in His promises. I have grown in Faith, because I have seen its results.

Father, remember “Ask and ye shall receive”? Ask. Ask God; ask youth; ask your parish members – old and young: “Is God calling you?” I have seen it work.

Have Faith. He said His church will not pass away. Don’t assume Him wrong, but assume Him right – even if you can’t see how it will happen. Spread that type of Faith, as you so eloquently did (in your homily)last Sunday. There is no one at my employer so tightly bound by logic, reason, and facts to be used in making decisions than myself. But I still have Faith. If you must seek solutions, seek them in line with your Faith – God gave you opportunities to speak for more vocations; he gave you example of others who might show you His ways; he gave you a sister parish which might supply you with priests should you become short. Cardinal George in Chicago is actively bringing priests to his archdiocese from overseas.

Ask. Trust. He will be with you always, to the end of time.

Wishing you blessings in all your endeavors,


Memo:
In my parish there are now 22 men in study for the priesthood and/or religious orders.

"The number of priests has grown steadily from 2000 to 2006".
Source: The Pontifical Yearbook, as quoted on Zenit.org, 2/29/08

No comments:

Post a Comment