Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lord, I Want You

As I arrived at church early this morning, I looked up at the beautiful sunrise and instinctively said: “Praise you, Lord, for this beautiful day. I need you, Lord.” Then I paused some. My mind flashed to the upcoming mass and to Christmas, and then I thought aloud: “Lord, I want you.”

I think the second prayer is the better one.

As I think about the coming birthday of Jesus and the events surrounding it, I wonder what Mary was thinking when the angel first called her, and she responded: “I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be done unto me according to thy word” (Luke 1:38). What did that mean? Did she respond to the glory of the angel in awe and just instinctively reply: “yes, of course, whatever God wants”, or did she respond thoughtfully from her heart: “Yes, Lord, I want You”. Although she did not know in advance what God would ask of her, I believe she was prepared and spoke to the angel from her heart. She didn’t just accept what God was willing to give her, she wanted what He wanted – with all her heart.

Advent is a period of waiting, anticipation, and preparation. Let’s think about OUR usual responses to God. Do we respond to things like the sunrise, the church, or the liturgy somewhat automatically: “Well, Lord, I’m here”? Instinctively going to: “I need you” as I did, or do we speak thoughtfully, longingly from our heart: “Lord, I want you”?

Spend some time this Advent thinking about your response to your God. Think of his birth, his unequaled gift, and all he gave us with his life. Is you prayer: “I need you – as in: help me and give me even more”, or is it “I want you – as in: I love you. Show me what more I can give to YOU.”

What do Mary’s words mean for you?

Let it be done unto me, according to Thy word.

No comments:

Post a Comment