Friday, January 1, 2010

January 1: Mary, Mother of God

The Church in recent decades uses this day to call our attention to the Mother of Christ
(Behold, He Comes)

My initial reaction at church this morning was, however, that the feast being celebrated was a continuation of the New Year’s Eve Party.

After the Gloria was sung for the entrance hymn, I did a quick check: No, it WAS the feast of Mary, Mother of God, not God, whose mother was Mary. Then began the party. Happy New Year to all of you! Now let’s wish our neighbors around us a very happy new year! After the short readings, the party and well-wishing continued into the homily. What a great feast it appeared we were celebrating about ourselves!

But then the priest began to speak some words of discord into the well-wishing. And I suddenly began to see myself in his words – and I didn’t like what I saw.

I know I get upset too easily. When someone does something stupid, why can’t I just think: tsk-tsk? Why can’t I just say a prayer for those who irritate me? Why?

I am not above getting angry over spiritual slights either, and I noticed that even the celebrant at this morning’s mass criticized the church service the night before. He brought it up a number of times in the midst of his sermon on Mary, the Mother of God – he felt compelled to mention how the service the prior night was “just a bunch of noise”. His comments became distracting to me; it was obvious he could not contain (and not voice) his anger. And I saw myself saying (and now writing) similar words today.

Somehow, getting an example that I was not alone in my quick anger is not comforting to me. It just means I know of at least 2 people who get angry too easily, and disrupt the peace of others. This is not a good thing. Perhaps a basis for a New Year’s resolution? I think not, but I will try use it as a basis for prayer, and for asking forgiveness. Forgive me, my friends, if my words are now causing disruption to your peace.

As I walked up the aisle to receive Communion, the choir began the beautiful hymn “Ave Maria”. I almost said aloud: “About Time!” but I didn’t. But then as I listened, and looked at the host raised before my eyes, I realized it really was about time, the correct time for me at least, the singing of praise to Mary, and the receiving of her Son. They go together so well, as truly beautiful music – for me. For me.

Mass ended with the great old Marian hymn “Go Tell it on the Mountain”, (written in 1935). Then the party resumed in earnest, with great noise and laughter for almost 30 minutes in the Church. (No one went over to the statue of Mary, or the mosaic on the wall.) As the last of the party drifted out the door and I tried to resume my morning prayers, the usher yelled across the church to the organist one final: “Happy New Year!”, as he ignored the Creator of the new year on the altar in front of him.

A lot of things bothered me the morning on this first day of the new year. But the important truth of the matter is that it bothered ME. The factors involved included the casualness of the mass, the ignoring of the key point of the feast day, and the disrespect for the presence of God on the altar. But these were just factors. The real problem is in me. “Make me an instrument of thy peace” is not a prayer I am sincerely praying each morning, if the peace does not start with me.

I can’t give to others what I do not have myself. There will always be casual Christians; there will always be things done in a way other than I would have done; and there will always be things which CAN disrupt my peace – if I let them. And the way I see myself letting that happen is by choosing to judge others. Instead of praying for others who seem to be astray, I am judging them, and getting angry in my judgment. There is nothing wrong with practicing one of the cardinal virtues: Admonish the sinner, but this is supposed to be done in a loving way, a virtuous way, not one of anger. In my heart, my admonishing the sinner would consist not of prayers, not even of words, I’d be sending lightning bolts!

Not at all like the one, whose feast day we should be celebrating today, would have done. She had a disruption to her peace like none any of us has ever felt, yet she handled it exceedingly well.

Please, my friends, put aside my words. Look at the title of this blog; don’t let my anger cause you any anger. Put aside my words and remember hers, her words of peace and acceptance of even the hardest of things.

May her words be our meditation every day: “Be it done unto me according to Thy word.”

No comments:

Post a Comment