Sunday, November 11, 2018

Review: Saying Yes


This is a really great book, summarizing lessons I’ve learned over a lifetime.  The sub-title of this book is “Discovering and Responding to God’s Will in Your Life.”  That is a most important thing to dedicate your life to but, as I’ve found, the title notes something even more important: “Saying Yes” to what you discover.  Sometimes, that’s hard.
The author begins with reflections on the focus of a life --- how “we discern our unique and individual contribution to being a coworker with Christ,” our vocation in life.  Early and throughout, he points to an ongoing problem: “The ego is a heavy piece of luggage.”  He notes: “Discernment involves surrender (of self) and trust (in Him),” adherence to the Word as seen in the Church, Scripture, prayer, and as brought to us through interactions with others.  In various ways, he teaches us to listen, which is “The Heart of Discernment.”
Mr. Haase notes that “God has a preferred mode of communication with each of us.”  (I’ve found mine in reading.)  And, as I discovered late in life, he notes the value of a spiritual director, an annual retreat, and journaling --- I write this blog, a nightly report card of my day, and a “spiritual journal” of the times when I felt God’s presence.
Mr. Haase concludes his book with chapters on wrestling with the devil --- our disagreeing with what he tells us to do, and wrestling with God --- our rationalizing what He tells us to do.  “We fear failure.”  I love his supporting quotations from saints throughout the book, but most especially his Appendix of Prayers for Discernment by various saints.  Those prayers so reflect my heart --- and will open yours.
This book is the best Christmas present you could buy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment