Sunday, July 5, 2020

Living in Harmony


I have no words, but the words I recently read during my night prayers are worth noting:
Let us never assume that if we live good lives we will be without sin; our lives should be praised only when we continue to beg for pardon.  But men are hopeless creatures, and the less they concentrate on their own sins, the more interested they become in the sins of others.  They seek to criticize, not to correct.  Unable to excuse themselves, they are ready to accuse others.
A sacrifice to God is a contrite spirit; God does not despise a contrite and humble heart.
-          From a sermon by Saint Augustine

With our weakness and frailty we cannot preserve peace if we have no compassion for the faults of others; if we do not know how to be kind to those who displease us, and if we cannot bear blame with humility.  Anyone who pretends that in achieving a life of perfect harmony with others, he need never suffer any annoyance or displeasure, and that he need never be contradicted or upset, has very little experience of the reality of life and forgets that, far from being pure spirits, we are limited to matter; he forgets that “we are mortal, frail, and weak, bearing about our bodies like vessels of clay, a source of friction for one another (St. Augustine). 
-          From Divine Intimacy, Meditation 224

Have I unwittingly put any limits on what I think You can do in my life?  This sick woman (tomorrow’s Gospel Mt 9:18-26) had been suffering for twelve years.  It must have seemed like an eternity for her.  But she didn’t give up hope.  Have I?  You are my hope, Lord.  I place my sufferings at your feet.  Let me hear Your words of encouragement; let me feel Your saving power.  With the joy of Your heart, expand my heart.
I believe in You, Lord.  I believe in Your Catholic Church.  I believe in love; I believe in Your love.  I trust in You – You know I do.  But I want to trust more.  I want to be as close and hope-giving to others as You are to me.  Give me what I ask of You, Lord, and then ask what You will …
Lord, I know that no matter how bad things look, You are still at my side.  I know that even when I can see only darkness with my reason, Your light shines through faith.  Yet, in times of trouble, it is so hard to see Your light.  Lord Jesus, increase my faith.  Teach me to see all things as You see them, and to see You in all things.
-          From The Better Part, Meditation 28

No comments:

Post a Comment