Tuesday, December 25, 2012

And Peace Came



It was Joyful
It was Luminous
It was Sorrowful
And in the end,
It was Glorious
Some saw it
Some heard it
Some touched it
Some smelled it in the air
And some tasted it --- and still do
Some spoke confidently of how it once was
Some proclaimed loudly its re-coming
And some touched the hem of its garment.
But they didn’t begin to comprehend,
What was, and is, and ever more will be.
Some today try to understand it
Some think they do, but they’re confused.
And sadly, some don’t even try.
For there are no words
There is no sense
And for all man’s self-proclaimed wisdom,
There is no understanding.
There is nothing a human can choose to do.
It is all a gift.
Being Itself came
And our own being either accepts the Peace given it
Or it doesn’t exist at all --- and never will.
Peace …

  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.  (Mt 10:34)  Yet He is proclaimed to be the Prince of Peace.  He is the peace that comes to those who open themselves every day more and more to His will.  My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. (Jn 14:27) 
These things --- a decent home, a pleasant neighborhood, tranquil family relationships --- are all good.  They remain blessings as long as they do not become our final goal, our ultimate happiness.  Then they would become lies because they cannot last.  They will all come to an end.  If we let Him, the Prince of Peace will teach us to seek in His will the peace that the world can neither give nor take away.
Lord, give me Your peace.  Give me the grace to place in Your hands all the good things I have in life, even my loved ones.  They are, after all, Your gifts.  And prepare me for that one great gift which cannot be taken away --- Your Peace.  May we love one another in Your Peace, never be separated again, because Your Peace is our everlasting life.  Amen. 
    ---- Behold He Comes, Meditations on the Incarnation, pp 49-50, by Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R.

2 comments:

  1. I love the poem at the beginning of this post. Is that a work of Fr. Groeschel, or are only the meditations his work?

    I don't often appreciate poetry, but I'm quite taken with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meditation below the dashed line is Bennie's; the rest came to me in the chapel one night. I didn't think of it as poetry as I wrote it, the words just flowed that way, an outpouring of the peace I felt and the thoughts rolling through my mind. I'm sure there were prayers of thanksgiving and praise that went amidst those thoughts, but I rarely write those words down. Once I did that and then looked at the words the next day; I saw that the words couldn't convey what was in my heart as I expressed them to God. He knew my heart at that moment; and it could not be duplicated later. So I sometimes copy prayers of others that seem to convey similar thoughts as mine, like Bennie's prayer above.

    I write these things down here for myself --- and others if they care to read them. Like the really good books I keep on my shelf, the ones with lots of underlines, I'll go back over them now and again, to remind myself of thoughts, and blessings.

    Glad you like what came on the screen. I know I got it right then.

    ReplyDelete