Sunday, December 17, 2017

Trusting in God's Plans



It happened again last night.
I had a couple of drinks “to help me nap before my late-night adoration hours”.  I awoke to the alarm --- again --- and realized it had gone off a few times.  I had ignored it, in a drink-induced haze.
I was late.
I raised myself and quickly headed out, stopping at the 7-11 for coffee to rouse my brain, and headed out on the 20-minute drive to the chapel.  If I knew Kelly’s phone number (who was waiting in the chapel), I would have called or texted him that I was late.  I made up excuses as I drove.  And when I arrived at the chapel --- 15 minutes late --- I walked in to make my excuses to him … and saw the woman there, alone.
I didn’t know her.  After a few moments, I made excuses for my late arrival, and she said that it was okay.  She had enjoyed the time alone with Jesus, in the quiet of the late night, just He and her, alone.
And then she thanked me “for the beautiful prayer card” I had given her (I did???).  I knew immediately, however, the prayer card which she had referenced; I had felt compelled on more than one occasion (or perhaps once a year) to give it to strangers in the church.  It was Padre Pio’s Prayer After Holy Communion, but I didn’t remember giving it to her, this stranger.
Then I told the woman that this occasion reminded me of a similar event a few months before, when I had again arrived late (--- not a usual event, really!!), on a different night at a different chapel, for my late-night hours there.  Then I also had plans to apologize for my lateness and was surprised to see a strange woman, alone, in that chapel --- as tonight.  And she too had told me how we had met one day prior and I had explained to her how wonderful it was to sit with Jesus, alone, in the late-night hours I had in the adoration chapel (I later found out this woman was a new arrival to the Catholic faith).  And during the full hour I was late then, she said she had had a wonderful, glorious time with Jesus, even singing aloud to Him in their quiet time together.  And she thanked me ---- for being late. 
And then (as tonight) I didn’t remember anything of our previous conversations she had referenced.
I think if we are open to God’s plans, and His words, there are lots of occasions where He uses us to speak to others and, like tonight, we may not even take note of the event.  But that’s okay; it’s His plans.  We needn’t even be aware.  We are only instruments.
I told Jesus thanks as I said my rosary in the chapel, and prayed for the strangers He puts in my life, for His reasons.  I only pray I do my small part in His plans, and I trust He will bring about His good results.  And I have great confidence they are probably much better than my plans --- which, like tonight, often include my sleeping through them.
- - - - - - - - - -
From one point of view, I guess this is a reminder that when we fail to do our part, He’ll pick up the slack.  Trust in Him!  And it’s also a reminder of the great value, the often unknown value, of spending time alone with Him in adoration.  Twice now, even in my stupidity, I have facilitated strangers being alone with Him, and they were positively thrilled with the experience.  Imagine how many people I could love in a similar positive way if I deliberately encouraged them to spend time alone with Him in the chapel.

3 comments:

  1. Tom: Your post reminded me of this. It has been such food for thought. I'm sure you know of it, but I thought I would send it on.

    JOHN HENRY CARDINAL NEWMAN
    God knows me and calls me by my name.…
    God has created me to do Him some definite service;
    He has committed some work to me
    which He has not committed to another.
    I have my mission—I never may know it in this life,
    but I shall be told it in the next.

    Somehow I am necessary for His purposes…
    I have a part in this great work;
    I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection
    between persons.
    He has not created me for naught. I shall do good,
    I shall do His work;
    I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth
    in my own place, while not intending it,
    if I do but keep His commandments
    and serve Him in my calling.

    Therefore I will trust Him.
    Whatever, wherever I am,
    I can never be thrown away.
    If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him;
    In perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him;
    If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him.
    My sickness, or perplexity, or sorrow may be
    necessary causes of some great end,
    which is quite beyond us.
    He does nothing in vain; He may prolong my life,
    He may shorten it;
    He knows what He is about.
    He may take away my friends,
    He may throw me among strangers,
    He may make me feel desolate,
    make my spirits sink, hide the future from me—
    still He knows what He is about.…
    Let me be Thy blind instrument. I ask not to see—
    I ask not to know—I ask simply to be used.
    ----------
    God bless. Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that many a time, however, your reminding me is most fortunate timing. I forwarded your "comment" to a number of friends.

    Merry Christmas to you, and all yours, Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tom. God bless you this Christmas, and always.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete