Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Christmas Minute



Last week I had planned to go to confession on Saturday, but God had other plans for me.  So, I planned for confession this past weekend, but …
A number of “invites” hit my calendar the same day.  A celebration was planned at my parish for all the Alpha Program volunteers, and even some of those who were newly introduced to Jesus through that program.  What a great gathering that would be.
But, at the same time I was invited to a visit from my friend who now lives in Africa, visiting a local church to sell handmade goods from her African children, and to tell the story of God’s love being carried out there, among the poorest of the poor.  Ah, how I longed to see my friend again, and see the great works of God my friend was doing, so far away.
But, my dearest friend was free this same night, for us to dine together, to share God’s love together.  Nothing is as important as friends; we all have so few.  And my friend is so like me, especially in the long days she devotes to work, as I did so many years.  And so, I treasure the time we could be together.  And this was my priority for the day, although we’d try to squeeze in a visit to my friend from Africa.
But, the day before “my plans” I received a short text message: “Fed Ex Alert:  Signature required by an
adult for package delivery.”  The wine I had ordered for Christmas gifts would be coming --- soon, soon meaning in the next day, or two.  On three past occasions I missed deliveries like this.  Once I was at the gym.  Another time I made a quick run to the grocery store.  And one time I only ran out to fill my gas tank --- and (as if there were some spy cam checking when I was not home) I came home to see the note on the door: “We tried to deliver, but a signature is required.  First try.  We’ll try twice more before returning to sender.”  On those previous occasions I left a note on my door that my neighbor would sign for the second-try deliveries, and they did.  On this day, however, my neighbors had Christmas plans – (so did I) – and I couldn’t count on them being home during the week, so I stayed at home, waiting.  I cancelled my plans for dinner with my friend. 

I didn’t totally waste the day, though, as I began putting up the Christmas tree.  Of course, one strand of the lights was burned out, so I hung the remainders, strung out a bit more thinly than usual.  I couldn’t leave to buy more.  I was going to hang ornaments, but I couldn’t find the hooks.  Hungry, I found I didn’t have any interesting food for lunch.  Time was passing slowly, as I looked out the window --- again --- for the Fed Ex truck.  It was getting to be late afternoon when I said aloud in frustration: “Well, I guess I’ll put on a pot of coffee and relax, or try to.  At least THAT would work out as I planned, and it did, but …

There was the ring of my doorbell, quickly followed by strong knocks.  I rushed to the door, and there he was, with the case of wine.  And even as he said: “You’ll need to sign here, sir” I saw the UPS driver walking up the drive with his delivery package for me.  He waited for me to finish signing for the Fed Ex driver, and then they looked at each other and smiled.  It was cold out, and so I said: “I just made a fresh pot of coffee; would you guys like a to-go cup?  It’ll just take a moment.”

They agreed, and as I poured the coffee the UPS driver said: “It’s sure a brisk day.  If I were delivering wine today, I’m not sure it’d be delivered unopened.”  And we all laughed.  As I handed them their thermal cup of coffee one said: “I really appreciate this; could I give you something for this?”  And as they walked out I said: “Well, you could help with my tree decorating.”  And they laughed again as they said in unison: “We gotta go.  Merry Christmas.  Thank you much.”

And quickly they were gone.

I had so many things on my calendar today, my plans, but as I one by one “X”-ed them out, it seemed God had His plan.  It was only a Christmas minute, but it seemed right.  And it seemed to be more important, somehow, then “my” plans.  And I laughed.

Am I saying that my plans of confession, a Christian celebration or friendly gatherings are not as important as greeting some delivery drivers?  Not at all!  And perhaps a census 2000 years ago was important also, but often little happenings are blessings from God, like a child born in a manger.

- - - - - - - - - -

In the chapel at night I prayed the Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary.  And as I prayed The Call to Conversion mystery (ref Lk 7:48-9), I read these meditations:

Every person I meet may be You in disguise, calling, needing me.

Be prepared!  He will come again when you least expect.

And perhaps he’ll come with a special delivery for you!    : - )

2 comments:

  1. I love stories like this! As much as we plan and schedule, God sometimes has other ideas ... and we just need to go with them. What a beautiful moment of grace with those two delivery guys. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great grace when we see and understand that this is God's work. I think I'm getting better at that, and my irritations at things not going according to my plan are getting less common. But not totally gone, unfortunately.

    Even if only through comments such as these, and reading of each other's postings, I am glad I have people in my life like you, Maria, who also can see God's plans ---- and not get too irritated. : - )

    I pray you an yours have a very blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete