Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Jesus Is Not On The Cross


My friend, Kevin, greeted me: “Hello, Fr. Tom,” referencing the crucifix which hung from my neck, a treasured gift from a wonderful friend.  I guess there are worse nicknames to be called than that of a priest; it was meant as a compliment.  That I wear a crucifix has triggered many conversations since I began wearing it visibly atop my shirt, ever since the day I buried mom.
At the same Open Door Ministry where Kevin and I volunteer, Stan once pointed to my crucifix and said: “You know, He’s not on the cross anymore,” referencing the Protestant icon of a bare cross.  “No,” I replied, “but the cross isn’t there anymore either.”  My words then triggered a pleasant conversation with this saintly man. It’s good to have honest conversations on faith, and especially on faith lived out in good works.  In times like these, when the actions of some, the bad actions, are a national focus, it’s good to remember why we believe, despite our sins and the sins of others.
Long after Stan subtly questioned why Catholics usually image Jesus on the cross --- versus a focus on the Risen Lord and an empty cross --- I came up with another reason to focus on the crucifix icon.  Certainly, Stan and I would agree that the greatest gift Christ gave us was to open the gates of heaven, to establish a relationship between God and man again.  He forgave our sins.  His resurrected body was our proof of the gift, the greatest Gift of all time, and for all time.  We should never forget, and always treasure that gift.  It far exceeds any of the greatest Christmas gifts we ever received --- even those we still treasure today.  But, … I think there is something else unique about this gift from Jesus.
It's one thing to receive a great gift, to treasure it and to love the giver, but it becomes something much more treasured when we realize what it cost the giver.  We may treasure a Christmas present, but if we suddenly realize it was paid for by those long hours of overtime dad worked, or by the second job mom took, or the many late nights dad spent in the basement toiling hard at his workbench --- if we suddenly make sense of their great sacrifices made for us to receive that wonderful gift, then we’d drop the gift and run to embrace them.  When we truly know what the gift cost, and the love that went into it, then we know THAT is the real gift.
The crucifix is what it cost God to give us His great gift.  Yes, the gift is the greatest we will ever receive, but the image of the crucifix reminds us what it cost Him, and how much He loved us.  The gift, or what it really cost, which is the greater thing to celebrate, to remember?  Well, it’s not worth a debate, it’s just something to talk about among friends, and remember.
At a time when there is much scandal in the Church news --- and scandal is the proper word --- our real focus needs to remain on the cross, or the crucifix, the great gift of God to us.  Even if scandal causes some to focus on the tarnish or a small dent in the great gift we received, it is still a great gift.  No man, no matter how big a sinner, can change that.
Many are calling for prayer and fasting in this time of crisis, but I really hadn’t give it much thought.  Today I went to morning mass, then I had chores to do, bills to pay, then I realized I had enough tomatoes from the garden to make my chili, so I assessed my recipe needs, made a list and went shopping.  I came home, sliced the tomatoes, cooked the celery, onions and peppers (from my garden, too), and browned the meat.  I added the dozen or so spices and cooked all this for about 3 hours.  I took chili to my friends at the 7-11, and came to say my night prayers.  And I’m surprised to see it is 6PM already --- and I haven’t eaten today.
Okay, I didn’t think about prayer and fasting, but I think God just gave me a tap on the shoulder: “Ahem.  Fasting isn’t that hard, you know, and it IS important.”  To me it’s kind of funny, when I realize that God is opening my heart to His will, and I sometimes chuckle in the chapel.  Good friends can enjoy a laugh together.  And when they’re sad over events in their lives, they console each other with their presence.
Jesus is not on the cross, but He died for our sins, even these in today’s headlines.  It’s good to sit with Him and reflect on this, and reflect together on the events of these days, events which He undoubtedly previously reflected on, alone, on the cross.  He saw these days coming, and still chose to die for us.
What a guy!  What a God.
- - - - - - - - - -
Glancing at Fr. John Riccardo’s upcoming Sunday bulletin words, I see he takes a full page to quote the words of Ezekiel 34:1-16, on the Good Shepherd who never abandons his flock.  The words are most prophetic of these days.

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of people have been nudged by God recently to start fasting, me being one of those. Like you, God's made me see that it's not that hard and that it's not only good for us - but good for our Church.

    ReplyDelete