Tuesday, December 31, 2019

20-20 Vision


During this Christmas Season, I have had some thoughts about time. (No, read that again:  I did not say “it’s about time I had some thoughts”.)  Strangely, I thought of Christ’s birth in terms of calendar time. Although the calendar system we now use was created many years later, yet under that system we would say that Christ was born in the year zero.  We always think of years as numbers, and always think that that one is the first number, but at least in time, zero is.  Zero is the starting point when it all began.  It’s like the foundation to a house, only it is the foundation to time: Year Zero.  It begins with the year Jesus Christ was born.
And from that foundation of time, time marches on, never to return.  On that foundation, in some year we ourselves were born, and in some year we will die.  We look back at what Jesus did, from year 0 to 33AD, and say: “That is who He is,” the sum of His Life, the example on which to model our life, during our years.  But we don’t think often enough that our years will also be the sum of our life.  Who we are, who we will be defined forever as, is also who we will have become at the end of our lives. How we use this life, who we become in this life, is eternally important.
Time passes and does not return.  God has assigned to each of us a definite time in which to fulfill His divine plan for our soul; we have only this time and shall have no more.  In eternity, time will be no more; we shall be established forever in the degree of love which we have reached now, in time.  No further progress will be possible when time has ended.  “Therefore, whilst we have time, let us work good to all men. (Gal 6:10)”
O Lord, if I look back on the year just passed, a year given me by Your divine Providence in which to increase my love of You, I can only grieve over myself and say to You: How little I have loved You, my God!  How badly I have spent my time!”  … Well do You know, My God, that in the midst of all my miseries I have never ceased to recognize Your great power and mercy.  May it prove of avail to me that I have not offended You in this.  Restore the time I have lost, my God, by granting me Your grace both in the present and in the future, that I may appear before You wearing the wedding garment.    
                                                --- Divine Intimacy, Meditation 35, December 31st
We forget the examples Jesus gave us on how to live our lives, use our years.  We are to grow in holiness; our life is a cumulation, like we are sewing a garment --- one he describes as a wedding garment, for us to wear to the eternal marriage feast we are invited to attend, with our eternal King.
But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment; and he said to him, “Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?”  And he was speechless.  Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind him hand and foot, and cast him into the outer darkness; there men will weep and gnash their teeth.”  For many are called, but few are chosen.  (Mt21:11-14)
This is the end of another year, another decade.  What will 2020 bring?  As I look back on my years’ past, I am glad that the sum of my life is not a tally of how may I led to Christ versus how many I led astray.  No, my life is a cumulation to the point I end up; who I am then, that is who I will be for all eternity, and so until my last year, my last day, I want keep sewing my wedding garment, to grow in holiness, grow in love, in my imitation of Him.
Lord, help me to follow You, to be Your messenger to everyone in my life.  You are so gentle with me, Lord.  You always forgive; You always nudge; You always wait with infinite patience.  Thank You.  Make me more like You.  I want to be Your light and Your goodness to everyone around me.  I want to attract them to You, however far away they may be, as the star of Bethlehem attracted the wise men.  Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart more like Yours.     --- The Better Part, Meditation 239, Jn 1:1-18
Happy new year, my friends.  Happy new decade.  May you live it well, and grow in holiness.  Don’t just let time pass; put on your glasses, see with 20-20 vision; this time is eternally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment