Tuesday, December 24, 2019

A Christmas Letter 2019

I'm behind again on posting some reviews of good reads, however I have received some positive comments on my Christmas letter this year, which I enclosed with my cards to distant friends and relatives.  So I post it here, no matter how distant you are.  
The words I wrote apply to you, also.


Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah!
This has been a year of blessings for many the Lord has brought into my life.  Early this year, I and a few friends moved Jackie out of her dangerous and bug-infested trailer into a new apartment, culminating a 2-year effort, during which she grew in awareness that her life was important, and we’d not give up on her.  Now she maintains a clean home, attends church each Sunday, has connected with once-estranged family members, and knits and does other things “to help those in need”.  And now, when I see her, Jackie smiles.
This year also brought to conclusion my (and others’) efforts to sustain a woman through her long and costly divorce.  When our paths crossed, she was over $100 thousand in debt and at risk of losing her house and custody of her five children, as the nearly 2-year long divorce process dragged on.  The divorce was completed this year; she kept the house, and has full custody of the kids, and she is now totally debt free.
The P.O.R.C.H. project --- Providing Others Renewed Confidence and Hope --- I helped begin last year is now up and running under the care of the Canton Community Foundation.  We are finding the lonely and forgotten in our community and matching them with caring hearts.  With God’s help we will work out any bugs in the process and then next year teach other communities what we have learned: Only people can solve the loneliness and sadness problems in our country, not money.
And finally, I want to mention another effort I supported: the launching of an orphanage for street kids in the Philippines.  John Drake, from Jackson Michigan, was on business in the Philippines about 10 years ago when God put in HIS path a small dirty trailer which used to be a pig slaughterhouse.  He was revolted by the smell, but looked inside and saw young children sleeping on the floor.  When he got back to Michigan, God wouldn’t let him forget what he saw, and finally he KNEW he had to do something.  He went back to the Philippines and started an orphanage for street kids there, and I was one of his early supporters.  The Lingap Center is now rated as one of the best run orphanages in the country (see John’s latest newsletter and just a snippet of what his kids are doing, attached).  John calls me one of the early Lingap founders with him, and the kids there, halfway across the world, pray for me.
John and I took opportunities God put in front of us to merge our talents with that of others God put in our lives to help HIS children.  We did a little thing, and God brought together others to make it happen.  In my old age, I am still learning how we can all, together, make a difference in this world if we are open to God’s call, and trust in His help.  Amazing things can happen; I have seen them.
Crises and tragedies were the beginnings of the good endings I wrote of above.  So, in faith I expect that the many crises and tragedies I and my friends now bear will also see good endings.  I have learned to trust in God.  I once read that without suffering there cannot be growth, and there cannot be love.  The above stories are a witness to that truism.  And I expect that those who are suffering now will find it to be true also, if they can learn to trust, and work with others to make good things happen in this world.
All these people, and you my friends, are always in my prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment