Friday, September 29, 2017

Eggplant Lasagna Recipe

I didn’t plan on writing tonight.  But as I prayed the sorrowful mysteries, God put into my heart thoughts on how HE CHOOSES to love us.  So often life seems a drudgery, and even if we try to do good, to be good, it seems like no one notices, or worse --- takes our goodness and turns it into our cross.  It’s what happened to Him.
I had volunteered to make dinner yesterday for the volunteers at the Open Door Ministry, which supplies groceries to the needy each Thursday afternoon.  There are sometimes up to 50 volunteers present, so I guesstimated up the ingredient requirements for my meal recipe, as well as the prep and cooking times.  The prep for so much food was long work, and I wondered if I’d finish in time, and as I neared the end of preparations I wondered if I had enough of the ingredients.  I made eggplant lasagna, which my friends enjoyed last month.  I was pleasantly surprised that I had exactly enough of each ingredient --- as I finished only a dusting was left in the breadcrumbs container.  And the cook time allowed for the two large containers of food turned out to be perfect; they were done at exactly the time I had to leave.
At the warehouse, I set things up on warming plates and then went to do my part of the volunteer work.  Volunteers were in short supply yesterday, work was pressured, but finally about 25 were present as Steve began his orientation speech before the families arrived to pick up food.  And at one point he got around to saying: “Oh, and we have dinner for all your volunteers tonight.  Tom cooked something – what is it? --- eggplant lasagna.  I haven’t tried it but please take the time to have some dinner later.”  Unsaid seemed to be a subtle --- oh no, a vegetarian thingy, yuck.  It led me to expect lots of leftovers.  And so, I went back to work, and with the shortage of workers, it was a hard work.
The hours passed quickly, as they do when you are busy.  And then I was surprised.  One by one, people began coming over to me, telling me how much they enjoyed my cooking.  A number wanted my recipe, and asked: “Can I take some home?”  And the word spread among the volunteers.  A few of the college students sought me out: “Did you make this?”  And they told me how great they thought the meal was.  I even got a fist bump and a (whatever the latest word is for “awesome” or “far out”, which I had never before heard, but understood.)
Tonight, in the chapel I prayed the Litany of Humility prayer, reading: “From the desire of being loved, deliver me Jesus.”  I pray that prayer sincerely, and don’t focus on doing things expecting thanks in return --- but it is “awesome” when that happens.
From a day of drudgery to a time of great thanks, and everyone remembering my name.  Days sometimes seem long and painful and it’s kind of hard to go on --- man, my back was sore from standing for 10 hours – but a thank you, and a couple of unexpected hugs, go a long way to helping you forget your pains.
It’s what Jesus foresaw as He underwent His Passion, and I reflected upon as I meditated on the Sorrowful Mysteries.  Pain and suffering, being alone, are hard.  But suffering and loneliness are not without reason, if we persist, and trust.
And as a reward for your persistence in reading these memories of mine, here is the recipe for that eggplant lasagna which so many (to their great surprise) really enjoyed last night --- there were no leftovers:
Eggplant Lasagna (For 6)
1 Large or two small eggplants
Breadcrumbs (I like Italian-flavored brands)
1 large jar of Bolognese Sauce (I used Mario Batali’s Sausage Bolognese)
Carton of Eggbeaters
Olive Oil
Mozzarella Cheese Slices
Grated Parmesan Cheese
3 tomatoes
Pick a large (or two small) eggplants and three tomatoes from the garden (it tastes better I you’ve grown your own).  Slice the eggplant into ½ inch or so slices, dip in eggbeaters, then coat with breadcrumbs.  Fry in olive oil in a large fry pan for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.  Put on paper towels to drain a bit, then place in a deep cooking dish (about 12 x 12 x 5, or so).
Pace one layer of the eggplant, cover with a half jar of the Bolognese sauce, cover with a layer of thin-sliced tomatoes, and then a layer of mozzarella slices.  Do it again.  Sprinkle parmesan over the top to cover any non-cheese spots.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until the top is pretty brown.  (While it is cooking, eat any leftover eggplant slices with salt.  Yum.)
Slice like lasagna, and enjoy.  Leftovers stay in the fridge well.  Remember when re-heating slices in the microwave that the slices are thick, and require at least 3-4 minutes on high to heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment