Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Reminders



Yesterday I wrote how I was reminded to remember those who passed.  Last night I was reminded also to remember those who live today, including myself.

I think sometimes God gives me (and you?) reminders, of His teachings, of His Will, and of the purpose of our lives.  The reminders are a bit of encouragement if we are on the right path, to continue even if it is hard, and an incentive to get going, if we’ve temporarily lost sight of the goal.

Last night I saw such reminders in the words of various meditations I read.  I jot them down here, as something I (and you?) can again refer to: God does care about us, and He continually tells us so, with gentle loving reminders.
Divine Intimacy, Meditation 330:
If a soul dedicates itself to prayer and sacrifice, not only will it help others but at the same time it will draw great profit for its own sanctification.
One who is just setting out in the spiritual life is not capable of attending to his own sanctification and the sanctification of others simultaneously; he should first have time to concentrate all his powers on his own spiritual formation.  … A beginner will not be capable of exercising a very fruitful apostolate. … Jesus Himself spent thirty years in prayer and retirement, although being God, He had no need to do so.  It was as if He wanted to show us that before we plunge into the work of the exterior apostolate, we must have reached a certain spiritual maturity by the exercise of the interior life.  He treated the Apostles in a similar way: the three years they spent with Jesus were years of true formation for them.
Thus, true Catholic tradition demands that, before apostles go out into the field of battle, they must prepare themselves by the practice of an intense interior life, which will make them qualified, fruitful instruments for the good of souls.

The Better Part, Meditation 196:
Be like men waiting for their master to return from the wedding feast, ready to open the door as soon as He comes and knocks.    – from Luke 12:32-48
If we want to lie in communion with God forever, we need to start cultivating that friendship now, making it our first priority.
Each human life has a task, a mission to know, love, and serve God in a particular way.
We are responsible for making good use of the gifts we have received from God (our lives, our talents, our education) in order to accomplish our mission.  Christ’s view of the universe doesn’t include reincarnation --- a concept which takes away all personal responsibility, since everyone is just recycled over and over again until they have no choice but to hit on the right combination of circumstances and decisions.  The Christian view involves responsibility, and this enables us to love, because love means freely choosing to put oneself and one’s talents at the service of another’s good.  That’s what God created us for.
Shed light into my heart and conscience, Lord, so that I don’t deceive myself and squander this wonderful life You have given me.
- - - - - - - - - -
These past few days God has put into my path people in need.  I could have ignored them, but I didn’t.  One needed my financial aid --- no big thing; they were most grateful for even my leftovers.  Another needed someone to listen --- that is love in a way we don’t often participate --- and I sat without saying a word as he poured out his heart, in front of me and God in the chapel.  And another person needed prayer, something I do each day, but on this particular day it had a special focus.
I think these “reminders” which I read last night in my meditations helped me see that God had put people in my path, and that I DID see them, people who in not too many years ago I would have passed by, in my busyness with my own focus.  These meditations are reminders that first, we must focus on our own growth, in our relationship with God --- pray, study His word, read the writings of His inspired saints --- and then we can grow in love of others: we’ll see the opportunities He gives us.
The growth in knowing God never stops; we can never really know God.  And as we grow closer to Him over the years, He will remind us, as His friend, to help one of His other children, as if it’s the most natural thing in the world to do.
Focus on getting to know Him; spend time with Him.  And we’ll become friends.  It’s the path for our lives.
This is just a reminder.


No comments:

Post a Comment