Friday, July 30, 2021

Love Acts

As I walked past the crucifix on the wall, I paused: “You know that I love You,” I said aloud.  I’m not sure if I was trying to remind Him, or me; I’ve said that hundreds of times.  But, tonight, almost as spontaneously, I heard myself saying further: “And people who love one another are friends.”  That gave me pause, and I smiled as I felt yes, we are friends.  And then again, almost out of the blue I said aloud: “And friends do things together.”  And that caused me to sit down.

Now I stared at the crucifix and contemplated my own words --- or were they?  My initial thoughts were that perhaps God was telling me I need to cooperate on some future opportunity He will provide, to love my neighbor as He would.  More than ever in my life I try to be open to His will, yet mine still overrides His so often, despite my efforts.  I can say with Jesus a million times “not my will, but Thy will be done,” but I can’t stop myself from quickly doing what I think best, often to my own benefit, not His.  But still I prayed: “I want to do Your will.  Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.”

But after a while sitting in the quiet, I had other thoughts.  In the past few days and weeks, I have had many people in need cross my path.  Most were almost strangers, yet I did what seemed necessary, immediately.  Some I gave physical aid, to some financial, for some I prayed, one I helped up from the floor, and another I hugged.  And one I sat by the bedside as she lay dying.  Looking back, I had thought that those were opportunities God gave me to love my neighbor, and so I did.

After tonight’s thoughts about loving God, being friends with Him, and that “friends do things together,” I realized I was remembering things I did in recent days wrongly.  I remembered them as actions I did, but in truth they were actions WE did, together.  God isn’t just with us when we speak to Him in front of a crucifix, or at Sunday mass.  He is with us and with every person we meet, an opportunity to love our neighbor, together.  All we need do is act on that opportunity, even with a smile.

Do you love God?  Are you friends with Him?  What have you done together recently?  Thank Him.  If you can’t recall anything, then resolve to start.  “Well, Lord, what should we do today?” is a good morning prayer.

P.S.  The people crossing your path are probably not like mine.  I am long retired and live alone.  My helping hand is available because I have lots of free time.  Most people have other commitments or vocations to live out, perhaps a good opportunity for them is to just take the time to hug their kids.  But He has shown us He wants us to love our neighbor ---- not ourselves alone. And love is not hormones reacting in us, love is something willed for the good of the other, for they are children of God.  Love acts.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment