Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Review: The Art of Living

 

This book, by Dr. Edward Sri, is unique in that it not only speaks of why virtues are key to living a good life, but also defines what living in virtue looks like.


 Dr. Sri noted:

Virtue should be understood relationally.  The virtues are not important for merely one’s own life … virtues give us the freedom to love, (and) have the ability to give the best of ourselves to God and others.

Dr. Sri notes that without virtues “we don’t know how to live friendship, community, dating, marriage, and family life well.”  He seems to be defining our present society.  He further emphasizes: “To the extent that I lack in virtues, I am not free to love.”  That summarizes the importance of this book, and it does a very good and precise presentation of what each of the virtues is and how it impacts our living.  Despite the importance of a virtuous life, unfortunately there is only one short chapter on growing in virtue, noting 3 keys as being:

1)      Educate ourselves
2)         Put in much effort
3)         Rely on God’s grace

    

The book has many good examples as it explains each virtue (and sometimes its opposite vice).  Unfortunately, I recognized myself in a number of those not-living-in-virtue examples.  This is a very good book and I highly recommend it.  I only wish it were longer, giving more examples of forming virtues, and of losing virtues.  A key part of the book, however, is the discussion questions at the end of each chapter.  Basically, Dr. Sri asks you to consider how you’ve gained, lost, or the impact of virtues you lack. He makes you consider “How well am I living? Will humbly adopting some of the virtues discussed make me better in my own eyes?  In God’s eyes? 

- - - - - - - - - -

I recently reviewed another book, Seeking First The Kingdom, by Fr. John Bartunek.  It is similar to The Better Part gospel meditations, and my Bible Study group recently started using Seeking First the Kingdom for its Lenten meditations.  We all agree it is an outstanding book in opening our eyes and hearts to better loving God.  It was this past week, however, that one of the group members said that “it’s too bad this book is out of print.”  What!!!??  My book is an original copy, although I don’t recall when or where I bought it.  I see the copywrite is 2014, so I am surprised it is out of print, especially since it is such an outstanding book.  My friends purchased, without my awareness, used copies which were available ---- for now.  Based on how well this fits in with my group now, despite going out of print, I can only conclude this is another of those “coincidences” God sends my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment