Sunday, October 30, 2022

Heaven's Gate

 

The Archdiocese of Detroit sent out a note announcing a new ministry it was beginning, the Confraternity for Holy Souls, focused on praying for the souls in Purgatory.  The Powerpoint slides it sent show the Church’s teaching on Purgatory, many saints words and prayers about and for souls in Purgatory, and the diocese recommended days and times when we could all be praying together, even if remotely:  prayer warriors at heaven’s gate, constantly howling to let them in.  Hounds of heaven.  I found the idea of the new ministry and its presentation to be very interesting. 

I know most Protestant religions don’t accept the teaching of Purgatory, but whether a place or as a time, I find it’s existence very compelling.  It makes sense to me.  If heaven is being with the perfection of God, it just stands to reason I need to be very worthy/perfect of so high a blessing.  Heaven has to feel that way, and be desired that way.  The Catholic Church teaches, and I understand, God deserves all our attention when we are finally allowed into His presence.  Even kings demanded that.  If we went to heaven still yearning for things of earth, or still having regrets for having failed Him in past sins, won’t He know our lack of full attention?  Won’t He feel it equates to a lack of full love?  Purgatory is a spot and/or time when we leave those things of earth behind.  It makes total sense to me.  I have so many earthly attachments.

And since it also makes sense that most people will leave this world still having such attachments to earth in their souls, Purgatory must, therefore, be a time/place for many, many souls --- even our family and friends, destined for heaven but not quite there yet.  Wouldn’t we want them to speedily get past Purgatory time and into heaven?  Our prayers can help.  God always hears our prayers.  This also I know; I have seen much of God’s answer to my prayers.  So, while this world seems in a chaotic state beyond most people’s control, the Archdiocese suggests a better use of our time than worrying.  Let us begin to pray with confidence for those souls in Purgatory especially, perhaps, for those who have been forgotten, whom no one prays for.  Won’t they be surprised, that they haven’t been forgotten?  Won’t we be glad, when our time comes, that we are not forgotten?

But that brings me to a last thought and question.  I have great hopes and expectations about heaven, being with God, although I am sure it will be far more wonderful than I can imagine, beyond all my hopes or expectations.  That’s what I expect for me.  But what about someone who has low expectations of heaven or only dimly believes.  If he enters that exact same glory that I hope to enter, won’t he be even more thrilled and more excited than I?  I really do hope that is so, it would please God so much ---- only I also hope I won’t be envious of his heavenly joy.  😊  I want to find joy in his joy, as he enters heaven’s gate.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

It was good to reflect on heaven, but for now I’m on earth, and it sometimes feels as if there’s not much here to give me joy.  So, this week as I went to morning mass, I was completely shocked --- and filled with joy --- at a new statue outside the church.



The new statue of Mary is not on a pedestal, but rather it stands on the ground, as if she were just another person of average height right in front of you.  But with her smile and prayerful pose, you immediately felt she was no average person; I wanted to hug her.  Jesus entered the world through Mary, and now her image stands at the entrance to His house.  The stone path leading up to and around the new statue is shaped like a key, with Mary at the center, like a key to His house, the key to His heart.

In 1983, I helped found the church where that statue now stands.  It’s taken many years, but now I feel that church is finally complete.  The number one survey response prior to the building of that church was that the people wanted it to feel like a holy place, a house of prayer, a house of God. 

Statues and pictures are usually meant to remind us of people or times, but this statue, with its folded hands in prayer, only reminds me of where it is placed, and Who is within this church.  It is a holy place.

3 comments:

  1. God sends little surprises to cheer our hearts! Sometimes when I'm in a down mood, God sends something like a bird singing or a beautiful sunset to brighten my mood and to remind me He is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God constantly sends surprises to cheer our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear another sing God's of loving actions, even the small ones. Thank you.

    I was saying night prayers there just now; on First Fridays they have 24 hour adoration, and the Knights of Columbus were stationed as greeters all night. I related my pleasure with the statue of Mary to them, and offered a suggestion that perhaps they might create some stone benches on either side of the statue, and some soft lighting. To my surprise they said they couldn't begin something like that. "Our women's arm are already making it happen. Your suggestion, while appreciated, is too late. And yes, everyone wants to hug that statue; you should see the little children on Sundays."

    Little things to cheer our hearts!

    ReplyDelete