Thursday, March 4, 2010

Knowledge

Orig: 03/07/09

Many of you know how much I read. Novels, business, philosophy, theology, science. Always wanting to know more. And what I have learned has had value, because it taught me all that I do not know.

Oh, I often think I know almost everything! So why learn more? An example helps. When I negotiated contracts for Ford with our soon-to-be-formal business partners, I knew what I wanted to get before any negotiations began. So why didn’t I just write out a contract and say: Sign here, then let’s go celebrate? Despite the fact that I “knew” how the contract should end for me, I didn’t know how it should end for them. During our talks I found out what they wanted, what they expected, and needed. That knowledge often led me to compromise my original expectations “to give them something”, but it also often led me to realize that what I “knew” at the beginning was not the whole, clear story. I learned from the others and so I created a better agreement for me. I thought I knew what was right before I spoke to anyone, but after learning from them I wrote something that was even more right. For me. And them. We can always learn from others.

Back to my original question: Q. So why learn more? A. For me! Even if I think I know it all, I don’t. And learning more will help me; it also will help those around me with whom I deal in my everyday life. Ask my negotiating partners.

My note last week suggested doing some good during Lent. Some wrote back to me and said “well said, I know just what to do.” Others asked, “How do I know what is the good – because some people say this is good, and others say it’s not. How do I discern good more clearly?”

For both of them I say: learn. Don’t equate your “feelings” about a subject with knowledge. Learn. There are many people more knowledgeable in the matters of the world and of God. Read of their wisdom; listen to their knowledge.

Even if you think know the answer on what is good to do in this world – you really don’t, you know. There is always more to learn. For you. And for all around you.

I care about you guys. I’ve learned so much from you – on top of the “everything” that I already knew.

Have a happy Lent. Spring is on the way!

T

P.S. Another view on the subject is attached. I wrote that while not paying attention to a sermon in church one Sunday. Mea culpa, fathers.


You Must Become as Little Children …
We usually hear those words and think of the innocence of children, and reflect on our need to trust, as they do. And certainly trust in God – and growth in humility –are part of the intended message. I think perhaps, however, that there is another, important message which can be read into that command.

Childhood is a time of learning. For many of us, it is our ONLY time of deliberate learning; few of us have continued to seek education programs once we graduated from the formal school system. Perhaps, however, Jesus is commanding us here to become as children in this aspect also: we MUST continue to learn. As children we learn so that we can function well as adults. Why should we as adults continue to learn? … “if you are to enter the kingdom of heaven”.

There is the bible; there are many writings of the saints and holy people; there are many written and oral words inspired by God and given to us to help us grow in holiness. There are many opportunities to continue learning. We need to take advantage of those opportunities.

Our actions show the world the type of people we are – perhaps some of your friends consider you in some ways a “good” person – but it is the attitude of our heart which will get us into heaven, not the “good” we show externally. Form your heart through continuing to learn about God. It is one of the most important things you can to with the time God has given you. Learn to know and love God. It truly is a matter of life or death: “You MUST become as little children, if you are to enter the kingdom of heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment