Sunday, May 13, 2018

And Death Comes ...


I’ve been reading Michael Augros’ book: The Immortal in You.  He asks the question: What is different about the body which was alive one minute, and dead the next?  All the physical parts are still there, what changed?  And he goes on, through his entire book, to explain what science cannot explain:  Why is there life?
Why am I alive?  Why are you alive?  Why now?  Is it random evolutionary survival of the fittest?  Is there no purpose, no meaning, like the roll of the dice?  Sadly, an increasing number of people believe that life has no ultimate purpose, and they live for the moment, for THEIR moment, thinking their life, their happiness, matters to no one else, and only exists --- not unlike the life of an ant that exists.
A long-time friend of mine has died --- and he lives.  His wife, his two sons --- my Godsons --- know he lives.  His life DID have a purpose, here on earth, and in eternity.  And because of his life, the life of his wife, his sons, me, and so many others are changed for the better.  Michael Augros’ book does not just explain the physical difference between a live and a dead body, but between life and death:  from a scientific and philosophical point of view, an immortal soul exists.
My friend, Chris, lives on.  I used to talk to him when I visited or called, but now it’ll be much more convenient.  There’ll be sadness at not seeing that face or that smile again --- but I miss my youth, too.  But that’s okay.
Life goes on, and death comes, and life goes on.
You know, I never liked surprise parties or surprise gifts.  I always liked being prepared for things in my life, whether for a big meeting or for the weather outside.  I prepared for those things to make them better events for me.  The Boy Scouts had it right:  Be Prepared.  A life well-lived is not a series of random events, it’s one with a series of events we are prepared for.
And death comes.  Death is no random event, nor should it be a total surprise party; it comes to everyone.  It makes me sad to think that more and more people are choosing not to be prepared.  It will indeed be a big surprise for them.  Unprepared, how messy will their house be on that day?  What will they think when the most important boss they ever had shows up to their surprise meeting, and finds them not prepared?
I am sure my friend, Chris, was prepared for his big meeting.  He met with his Boss, got a huge promotion --- and a raise --- and has now moved to a distant, better location.  We probably won’t see each other for a long while, but when we do it, I am sure, it will be a big party.  I’m happy for him, and I look forward to our future meeting.  I’ll be prepared for it.  And I pray that every friend I had or have will also work on being prepared.  When we all meet again, oh, I want it to be such a big party.
- - - - - - - - - -
Grant Lord, that my heart may ever be
turned toward heaven where You await me.
-- Divine Intimacy, Meditation 182
Those were the first words I read tonight after writing these reflections on Chris.  I guess God wanted to remind me that He’ll be at the big party, too.  As a matter of fact, it’ll be at His house!
And so, it goes on: This morning I read my daily Gospel chapter and Psalm; my bookmarks were at Matthew 15 (Be prepared) and Psalm 145 (Give Him praise).
- - - - - - - - - -
Just a final thought I want to capture this day.  Today in my diocese the Catholic Church celebrates the Ascension of Jesus, and meanwhile our country celebrates Mother’s Day.  For me and many others, these celebrations are appropriately together, for our mothers have gone from this world, as Jesus did.  But He said: “I go to prepare a place for you,” and I trust our mothers are now recipients of His promise.  So today some go out to celebrate this day with their mothers, while others, like me, go into the chapel to celebrate this day with our mothers.  And as Catholics we celebrate one other person today, Mary, THE mother of all eternity; to her also I give thanks. 
Thank God, for all mothers, everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment