Sunday, October 28, 2018

Responding to God's Will


If you’ve been following here, you know I’ve come to see God’s hand in unexpected changes: the thwarting of my plans, unexpected events, or even in the mundane which I might usually not notice, but which for some reason strikes my heart.
And then I try to hear God’s message for me --- or perhaps what He is telling me to say or do for those who cross my path --- like you.
I had plans for the charity dinner this past Friday night; I wanted a table full of friends to share the event with me --- but most could not make it.  There would only be the four of us, a woman whose path crossed mine doing a project of God’s work, her husband, and a long-time friend.
There was confusion on the time I was to pick up my friend for the dinner – so, I had to wait 10 minutes in the car.  During that time, I listened to a very compelling interview on the radio, and thought I’d like to know more about this interesting man.  And then the interview concluded: “This has been an interview with Albert Haase.  You can read more in his latest book:  Saying Yes, Discovering and Responding to God’s Will in Your Life” --- and then I happened to glance down onto the seat next to me, and saw the book of that title which I had been reading.  And then my friend opened the car door and said: “Good evening.”
The dinner was for Angela Hospice, for the past great, and wonderful new compassionate work they are doing.  The presentation of their ministry efforts and the people they are helping made me cry with joy.  At our dinner table with us were six strangers --- but not really, as I found a connection with most, and especially with the man I had served with on numerous charity boards and events.  We laughed when we first saw each other, and again when we found we were seated together --- unexpected meetings for us almost seem common.  My close friend sat next to him all night, greatly enjoyed his conversation, and was greatly surprised that he had been chairman of the board at the hospital which saved her life.  “I know,” I said.  Meanwhile, I met and sat next to the husband of my other friend, and we found we had numerous things in common, and shared much laughter --- until late in the evening when he received the phone call from his sister that his dad had just died.  Some of his siblings and mom had been at dad’s side.  (I learned his father’s name was Edward, the same as my dad’s and my middle name.  My new friend, the son, is named John, my Confirmation name.)  Before leaving, John and his wife again expressed thanks that I had invited them to this dinner, honoring the work of hospice care which had so helped his family in recent weeks.  They used St. Joseph Hospital Hospice Care --- as I had done with my mom, and the hospital where my friend’s life had been saved.
Tonight, on the way to the adoration chapel, I listened to an interview with Tim Kissell.  He was a man, conceived in rape, who grew up to be a minister, joyfully connected with his birth mom and siblings, and humbly met and forgave his birth father as he lay on his death bed, and then performed his father’s burial service.  Mr. Kissell now leads a ministry counseling people on how to forgive, especially those whose lives were radically changed by the action of others.  He noted that all lives have value, meaning and purpose and, in His plans, are a blessing from God.
God’s plans are not our plans.  His are better, and we can see that, if we let Him open our eyes.
Events of recent days in my life --- were not my plans.  Should I pay more attention to that book I am reading?  Should I re-connect with my old friend, and/or grow closer to the friends I brought to that dinner?  Should I share Mr. Kissell’s interview with other people I know who are facing great changes in their lives, or who have lived through great tragedies?  What is God telling me, with these changes He made to my plans?
Of course, I don’t know, but I will do all of those things which I “could” do.  I’ll try to do those things, those opportunities, which God has put before me.  I feel blessed to have seen them.
There are opportunities in all our lives to do His will, if we’d just be open to seeing them.  What plans of yours were thwarted recently?  Who has hurt you?  All lives are important.  Nothing happens without a reason.  There are no coincidences.
And now I think I am done with this writing, and it is His will that I get back to my Night Prayers.  I must finish and get home and rest, for tomorrow is another day.  Who knows what events are planned for it?

1 comment:

  1. The funny thing is I had been thinking about asking you for a book recommendation. God recently gave us an opportunity to move and for me to be able to look for a work from home job but there are so many different ways this can go. We are blessed and very grateful and I know that we do need to discern, so I'm hoping this book helps. God is good!

    ReplyDelete