Sunday, April 5, 2020

Prayer, Fasting and Trust



Today is Palm Sunday.  My church set out palms and holy water these past few days, and we could go and pick some up.  When I went late Friday afternoon, only our pastor was there.  I picked up some for myself and a friend.  Today’s mass, broadcast online, from Christ The King Ann Arbor was most moving.  The people in the Gospel said: “Hosanna!”  Then the same people said: “Crucify Him!”  The light and the dark, and it seems these days many don’t know which of those words to say in their heart.  I think that’s because they don’t know Him.  I wish they’d use this time to try to.
I received an email today from a good friend.  She watched her neighbor walk out to the ambulance last Sunday, and heard of his death from the Corona Virus on Monday.  He was a good man --- lots of good people are dying.  In nearby Detroit, they are demanding people stay at home; they have removed basketball hoops from city parks; they are stopping anyone out.  They say don’t even go out for shopping.  And the numbers of ill and dead are rising rapidly.  As is crime. 
In my nearby township, I only know of two dead, so far.  Stores are still open, but I have been staying away.  I still deliver food twice a week to the homebound; someone has to do this, and God has put it in my heart.  And, I stop late each night at a small chapel which has a passcode entry.  God is there, but no one else.  I crave being in His presence. 
I don’t know my role in the world’s events, but I ask God to help lead me.  I’ll follow and trust.  I was able to turn from myself (largely) through His help, and limit my worries by limiting my readings or seeing of what others are saying and doing.  I limit my thoughts of the past --- although I had some thoughts of someone I injured long ago, and wrote a letter asking forgiveness --- and I will not worry about what others are saying of the future.  It is all beyond my control, except perhaps what God would ask me to do for Him which may impact the future in some way.  He is I AM.  I shall not worry.
If you are one who would be contacting me for some reason, after today I will shut off my computer for Holy Week; this will be part of my Lenten fasting.  Prayer and fasting are all I can do now, and I shall.  I’ve read many words of how God has heard our prayers, and fastings, and has sometimes relented in His punishments.  But I’ll pray for His will in all this, not mine. I’ve prayed each night as part of my rosary dedication, for an end to abortion, and for this country.  Maybe these days are an answer to my prayers.
I hope you and all yours are well.  Before mass on EWTN yesterday, I saw a most moving ad.  A young boy was in bed, and as his mom tucked him in he said: “Look, someone gave me a bunch of rosaries at school today.  Would you pray with me?”  She said she was busy, but then came and sat next to him.  And shortly thereafter came his dad and sister, to wish him good night.  And he asked them to pray with him also, and reluctantly (at first) they did.  Wouldst that all families could come together like that, especially in these days, and dedicate their families to the Holy Family, which was together in good times, and in bad.
And as I pray my rosary each night, I also have this dedication: “For those You bring into my life.”  And so, I pray for you, my extended family.

No comments:

Post a Comment