Sunday, February 28, 2021

Why Don't People Listen to Me?

 

As I was reminded --- again --- on EWTN this morning, that is the wrong question.  The right question is “Why don’t I listen more?” 

My Morning Prayers today included Psalm 95, where I read the words: “Today, listen to the voice of the Lord”.

The Gospel this Sunday was on the Transfiguration, Jesus displaying a small part of His glory to His apostles to --- as some reflections state --- give them confidence, for His Passion was about to begin.  The priest this morning chose to reflect on a part of that Gospel, however, not often stressed.  It’s where God the Father speaks from the heavens and says: “This is my beloved Son; listen to Him.” 

Listen.

Do I listen in conversations with family, friends, or God?  Do I feel compelled to always be the one speaking?  I may be wise and have great ideas and insights, but as the priest noted: “A good conversation is 75% listening”.  The priest went so far as to say that perhaps this is something we need to consider in confession.  Confession?  Is sharing my insights/wisdom a sin?  Yes, he explains, for others have insights and wisdom, given to them by God, which we may not be hearing because we are so full of our self.

Self.  There’s a word which I can readily associate with sin. Much of the world’s problems today are caused by people focused on themselves, their opinions, their way of seeing and doing things, and thinking you are wrong for not agreeing with them, and they can’t listen.  Yes, I can see that “self” can be a cause of sin.  It’s called Pride, the opposite of the Humility I pray for.

For Lent, the priest this morning suggested that we might confess our sins of not listening, and resolve to listen more, to be healed of “self”. 

I pray the Litany of Humility each night.  The opening lines are: 

O Jesus!  Meek and humble of heart, hear me.  From the desire of being esteemed, deliver me, Jesus.  From the desire of being loved, deliver me, Jesus. 

I pray for humility, but as I was reminded, it begins with me and how I love others, including listening to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment