Saturday, December 11, 2021

I Am Blind

 

“Everyone has his blind spot,” began the priest in his sermon at mass this morning.  The readings today had said how Elijah was raised into heaven, but that he would return to announce the Messiah.  In the Gospel, the disciples asked Jesus: “When is Elijah coming?” and Jesus told them that Elijah already had returned --- in John the Baptist.

The priest noted how all Jews were looking for Elijah with blind eyes.  They knew what he looked like, how tall he was, and the color of his hair --- they were watching intently for his return.  The priest then quoted someone who had said “The Messiah could be born 1000 times in Bethlehem but they still wouldn’t see him, because they weren’t looking with their hearts” That is why the Scribes and Pharisees couldn’t recognize Elijah in John or Jesus as the Messiah; they weren’t looking with their hearts.

Advent is a time to prepare for Jesus’ coming.  Are we blind in our preparations, not looking for Who He is --- in His creation, His Church, His Word, and the people in front of us?  The priest then told how he had a busy day earlier this week, and right in the middle of the busyness an old man walked up to him and said: “Father, my life is a mess; can I talk to you?”  The priest said that people around him heard the old man, “so I said yes, of course,” and put everything else on hold.  “And I listened, and I then I heard that man’s confession, and he came back to God and the Church, after having been away 60 years.  THAT MAN,” the priest said, “THAT was Jesus coming to me.”  He would have been so easy to ignore.

Advent is a time put aside to prepare ourselves for His coming, so we receive Him with joy at Christmas, and not with any irritations or casualness because the day of His Coming is not as we planned.  Don’t be blind!  He may come in ways not as you planned.

- - - - - - - - - -

After mass, I usually stay to pray a rosary, but there was a baptism scheduled in the church today, so I went out to my car and headed to the Catholic bookstore.  They had called that some of the books I had ordered were in.  I was surprised that the temperature outside was nearly 60 degrees; I hadn’t expected such a beautiful morning.  I usually pray while driving, but the music being aired on the Catholic radio station sounded heavenly.  Nuns were singing O Come, O Come, Emmanuel in Latin.  So beautiful!  The radio show host said the music was from the CD: Advent at Ephesus, by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles.  I scribbled down the title as I drove; I wanted that CD.  The radio host said that he often lights a candle at home and quietly sings that hymn alone, and thinks about his preparations for Jesus’ coming.  His words haunted me.  I plan to do the same for the remainder of this Advent.

At the bookstore, they said their inventory showed one copy left in stock of that CD, and we had to do a deep search to find it, but we did.  I wanted that CD to use to help me prepare, in my heart, for Christmas.  When they gave me the CD it looked familiar, but I bought it.  Here, at home, I went through my pile of Christmas CD music and found that I already had a copy of it.  I already had that music, heard those words to prepare for Jesus’ coming --- but I had never heard them in my heart before, and had never really yearned for that day, in that way:  O Come, O Come, Emmanuel.

I was blind.  But I noticed the sermon, the music, the beautiful day, and the one CD copy --- for me.  And I also realized another thing.  For rarely listening to the car radio, twice this week I had heard that radio show (Saturday was a repeat). I heard that hymn sung twice also, but earlier in the week it had no impact on me.  But the second time, because the Baptism interrupted my plans, I heard it again --- after I had heard the priest tell me to prepare for His Coming.  Take time; open your heart, O Come Emmanuel.

I don’t believe in coincidences.

No comments:

Post a Comment