Tuesday, March 7, 2023

A Life-Changing Lenten Resolution

 

In my morning Readings, I read these words:

“In those days Christ was present to the Israelites as He followed them, but He is present to us in a much deeper sense.  The Lord was with them because of the favor He showed Moses; now He is with us not simply because of Moses, but also because of your obedience.  After Egypt, they dwelt in desert places; after your departure you will dwell in heaven.  Their great leader and commander was Moses; we have a new Moses, God Himself, as our leader and commander.”

- - -   St. John Chrysostom

The words caused me to reflect on how Moses had acted, and then the Red Sea parted.  And he did lots of other little things, so that God could work His immense miracles.  And I reflected on how quickly the Jewish people forgot.  So why did He do those miracles for them?

Recently, I was focused on one of the miracles God allowed me to see.  I had helped a woman I knew get to the chapel, and while there she deeply experienced God’s love; it was shortly before her death.  I was awed to see what God had done for her and I wrote of that experience here, giving Him praise for the miracle.  But after I now reflected about Moses’ parting of the Red Sea, I have a different thought about that miracle I had seen.

Yes, miracles are a great blessing of God, a showering of His love on mankind.  But look what happened after Moses parted the Red Sea and the Egyptian army was destroyed.  Over 400 years of slavery were ended.  Yet, how soon the Jews forgot that amazing miracle.  And I recalled how some of the ones who saw Jesus’ miracles were also the ones yelling “crucify Him”.  It seems that all events of today, even miracles, so quickly become events of yesterday --- and a new day quickly becomes our focus.  So why did Jesus work miracles then, as now, if they are so easily forgotten?  I think it is because we primarily focus on the miracles as being done for us --- which is true --- but then our minds move on to a “so what have you done for me lately” attitude.  But the ultimate reason for miracles is not because of our asking, but because of His giving.  He loves us, with a love so huge we can’t possibly imagine.  His very being is love.  When God became human He couldn’t help but continue His Godly unending love, and miracles were an expression of that love.  But, He didn’t become a man to work miracles; He came to show us how to be and act as His children, how to love, and He did it to the ultimate.  Out of love, He died for us.

Like a father teaching His children, He came to show us how He created us to live, loving as He loves --- loving the Father and loving our neighbor.

Thinking back on the miracle I witnessed in the chapel, the real miracle --- the outside the ordinary thing --- was: that I DID witness that miracle.  I acted with a small act of love (imitating Jesus’ love), taking a dying woman to chapel, and God allowed me to see His huge miracle of love.  It was if He had said to me:  “Look what I can do, now that I had your help.”  Mine was just a little love, a small imitation of how He taught us to love, but that little bit resulted in a huge miracle, my 1% and His 99%, together, made it happen.  And He enabled me to see the result of my pitiful effort.  I was so blessed.

- - - - - - - - - -

At mass today, the priest preached on Lent fasting and alms-giving.  “What did you give up for Lent?”  Those are certainly good things to do this Lent, and our small participation in the sufferings of Jesus.  But, reflecting now on those things which I wrote of above, I think that perhaps a better Lenten resolution would be to love more.  Resolve each day this Lent to do at least one deliberate act of love (like taking someone to the chapel).  To your spouse, children, to your friend, neighbor, to the waitress, the checkout clerk, the mailman, the priest, or even to God, resolve every day this Lent to do some little act of love.  “I love you; thank you; I’m happy I could help you; I always pray for you; I appreciate the work you so diligently do; I appreciate your smile; Thank you for your example; thank you for being my friend.” Or even just smile at the person near you.

God showed me how such a small act of love as that could change lives, and maybe even yours.  Actions and prayers which enable us to participate in and appreciate His sufferings (like fasting and alms-giving) are certainly good things, but somehow I think seeing our little acts of love this Lent would make Him smile, and maybe He'd even multiply our efforts. I would love to see God smile.

The Romans defined the Christians: “See how they love one another.”  Our world so needs that visible witness today.     

No comments:

Post a Comment