Saturday, June 10, 2023

God is Present, Waiting for Us

 

I went to confession after mass this morning.  As I was leaving church, I noticed a flyer advertising a Eucharistic procession.  I assumed it was for tomorrow, when there will be many processions on the Feast of Christ’s Body and Blood, but it told of a procession today, in front of an abortion clinic, in about a half hour!  I felt a little nudge, and so I drove to the location on the flyer, arriving about 10 minutes before the start time.

The procession was about 100 people, led by the large host of Christ’s Body contained in a beautiful gold monstrance (carried by a priest under a gold cloth canopy, held by 4 altar boys), and right behind was a statue of Mary, on a platform which was carried by 4 young girls.  The procession went on the sidewalk along Ford Road, a major road in Westland.  Cars slowed and a few even stopped to see the procession and hear our prayers.  There were some banners and signs explaining the event.  Later, when I got home, I sent some tips of the things they did well to leaders I know of some of tomorrow’s processions.

But tonight, I was in the Adoration Chapel, praying in front of the Eucharistic Presence of Jesus again. After a while, I noticed a pregnant woman and her young girl come up to the chapel door, but they didn’t know the entrance code, and turned away.  I ran out and stopped them.  “Please!  God always likes His little children to visit Him.”  And they came in. 

And while they quietly prayed, I read this reflection (from The Better Part, 258) on tomorrow’s Gospel:

 

Christ in My Life 
Thank you for creating me free and respecting my freedom.  Because you made me free, I can love, and in loving, I come to resemble you and enter into your friendship.  O Lord, purify my heart.  Help me to choose more often, more definitely, and more passionately, to give myself to those you have put under my care.  I want to love with all the force of my freedom, just as you do.

Bread is such a simple food, Lord.  It’s so normal, so basic.  And that’s how you come to me.  O Lord, open my eyes so that I will see you as you truly are in this mysterious sacrament.  And open my eyes so that I will see you as you truly are, present and active in the normal, basic activities and events of my life.  You came to walk with me and accompany me through life.  I don’t want to walk alone anymore…

I want to be like the Eucharist.  I want my life to nourish the hearts and souls of those around me.  I want to pour out all my energy, all my talent, and all my love for the sake of your kingdom, bringing others closer to you and closer to the happiness you created them to enjoy.  How can I give myself more?  How can I be more like you?  Teach me to do your will, Lord, and to seek first your kingdom.

 

Walking in procession with Him, not walking alone.  Nourishing those around me.  Giving myself to those you have put under my care.

Yes, I felt His Presence today.  And in some small ways, we marched together.

No comments:

Post a Comment