Saturday, May 27, 2023

A Special Blessing

 

I entered the adoration chapel tonight a little before my scheduled hour at 6PM.  To my surprise, there was a family there, mom, dad, and 7 children, arrayed in the semi-circle of chairs in front of the tabernacle.  They had been praying aloud as I entered, but went quiet out of consideration for me.  I went over to the father and softly said: “Don’t mind my being here; please continue praying.”  He softly said “thank you”, and continued to lead his family in the rosary prayers.

The tabernacle doors were closed, whether deliberate or not I didn’t know, but I softly went to the front of the chapel and after a quiet prayer opened the doors.  The interior light came on, beautifully highlighting the gold monstrance and the large host it held.  There was a loud gasp behind me; they obviously did not know how this chapel was arranged, but then they continued their rosery prayer.  I prayed aloud with them.

The children took turns leading the Hail Mary prayers, the youngest in a voice so quiet I could barely hear.  And one lost track of the 10 Hail Mary’s and said an extra one.  No one was using a rosary to help with their counting.  I carry in my jacket pocket a rosary which was sent to me by a Fatima charity I sponsor.  I took it out, intending to give it to one of the kids after their rosary prayers were finished.  Then as I prayed, I looked at the back of the rosary’s crucifix.  There, I saw these words: “I am a special child of Mary.”

At the end of the rosary, the whole family sang the Salve Regina hymn in Latin; I cried at the beauty of their young voices in the chapel.  Obviously, this family prays together often.  When they finished the rosary and were about to depart, I went up to the dad and said: “I found this rosary; I’m sure it belongs to one of your children.”  He started to say no, but I waved my hand to stop.  He said thank you, and as he was leaving the chapel he stopped in the light and saw the back of the crucifix and the words there.  A couple of minutes later, he re-entered the chapel with a small young lady, who was holding the rosary.  He said: “This is Maria.  She just made her first Holy Communion today.”  Maria thanked me for the pretty rosary, and I thanked her.

And after they left, I thanked God.  It is the eve of Pentecost.  The Holy Spirit still comes, to bring His words of love, especially to His little ones.  And I was so blessed to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment