Monday, May 8, 2023

Review: Prayers of Desperation

 


This is a book to help you review your spiritual life.  So often spiritual lives are stalled by difficult circumstances which become the focus of our lives.  We don’t see what God is doing, so we focus on doing things ourselves --- and often failing, often worrying.  This book gives an answer on how to proceed when we become stuck: “Ask and you shall receive, that your joy may be complete (Jn 16:24)”

The book is broken into areas to answer all our questions, or teach us how to ask them:  Why, How, When, What, Where, and Who are the titles of the book chapters.  Each chapter concludes with a most wonderful prayer, laying out all our worries before the Lord.

Prayers of Desperation --- a Questioner’s Prayer for Answers in Our Darkest Moments.  The prayerful questions asked in this book are simple because He knows all the details.  Personally, I like the “When, Lord?” chapter the best.  That chapter noted how Mother Teresa of Calcutta and Pope John Paul II focused on adoration; Mother Teresa’s community always began their day that way.  JPII said “It is through the Eucharist we are enlightened” --- He has all the answers for us.  In Matthew’s Gospel Chapter 24 he asks “when” will the world end.  “If we recognize Jesus “now” in the hungry and thirsty, the stranger and the naked, the sick and the imprisoned, Jesus will recognize us on Judgment Day.”  We need no better answer.

The ”When” chapter’s closing prayer summarized what should be our prayer:

Like others, Lord,
I am sometimes anxious about the end time,
wanting to know, are we on the threshold
of Your return?
But help me to see when I might be staring
You in the face,
As You come to me now in the people
I live with,
work with,
and see all around me.
Fill me with the desire to always
seek Your Face, Lord!
Move me more and more to adore You in
the Most Blessed Sacrament, where You are truly present,
and to pray earnestly for Your coming!
Then open my eyes to see You under Your many guises
as You come to me throughout the day.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment