Friday, May 26, 2023

If You Love Me

 

The Bible Study guys reached Mark 14:22 this morning, the establishment of the Eucharist.  The Protestant group of men did note that in Mark’s Gospel the words “This is My Body” and “This is my Blood” were about all Jesus said in this Gospel’s Last Supper discourse, but they attached no special meaning to the words, and knowing what I, a Catholic, believe, skipped by them with little discussion.  I was quiet, recalling other words said: “That they may be one.”

However, the next words Jesus says in Mark are “You will all fall away,” followed by His prediction of Peter’s denying Him three times.  These words were followed by Peter’s vehement retort: “If I must die with You, I will not deny you.”  Those words generated much discussion in the group, about our will vs our human nature.  One man spoke of his trying to forgive the parents of his foster children, who had been so beaten and abused.  Others spoke of loving their spouse.  It’s hard to love even the one you love most, because in doing so you let down your guard and they see your inmost being, and it is most amazing that knowing the real you that they can still love you back --- and we fear they won’t.  Perhaps that is only something God can be relied upon to do, just love us as we are.

Later this morning, I was at mass, and I heard the Gospel (John 21) where Jesus asks Peter: “Do you love me?”  And Peter replies: “Yes Lord, You know that I love You.”  Peter was asked that question and he responded yes three times.  This, after Peter said he’d never deny Christ, but did do that three times.  Why would anyone trust his answer this time?  “You know I love you.”  As the Bible Study guys had discussed, actions speak louder than words.

In our minds we can make the most vehement commitment, but being human we will always be tempted to love ourselves more than our commitment to love anyone else, even God.  As the movie Nefarious and the book, The Screwtape Letters, both point out, we are so easily tempted.  As I walked up to receive Communion at mass this morning (the “This is My Body” that really exists as He said), the choir began singing the words of Jesus we had heard in the Gospel, only they had a slight difference which gave me pause.  They sang: “IF you love Me, feed My lambs.”  IF.  We commit to love, but there are those unthoughtful friends, those stupid co-workers, and those hateful people all around us.  How can I really love these?  How can I forgive them?  Lord, help me.  “You know that I love you.”  But, …

IF, you love me …

 

No comments:

Post a Comment