Tuesday, August 22, 2023

By the Rivers of Babylon

 

“The Babylonian captivity is a type of our spiritual captivity.”
-- Saint Hilary

 

Psalm 137: 1-6

By the rivers of Babylon
there we sat and wept,
remembering Zion;
on the poplars that grew there
we hung up our harps.

For it was there that they asked us,
our captors, for songs,
our oppressors, for joy.
“Sing to us,” they said,
“one of Zion’s songs.”

O how could we sing
the song of the Lord
on alien soil?
If I forget you, Jerusalem,
let my right hand wither!

O let my tongue
cleave to my mouth
if I remember you not,
if I prize not Jerusalem
above all of my joys!

 

Psalm Prayer

Lord, remember your pilgrim Church.  We sit weeping
at the streams of Babylon.  Do not let us be drawn
into the current of the passing world, but free us
from every evil and raise our thoughts to
the heavenly Jerusalem.

 

I read the above words at the start of today’s Evening Prayer.  The psalm and prayer resonated in my heart.  We are at such a time again.

We’ve read in the Gospels how we must put our love of God --- AND, His love for us --- above all things, and all people, even family and friends.  Back then, in Babylon, as now, it is hard.  We are captured in a foreign culture, a Babylon, not of our choosing, how can we sing with them our songs of praise, turning them into common entertainment?  That seeks to make our God as no one special, pointing to His teachings --- ones they disagree with --- as examples of why He can’t be God because He doesn’t love every sinner, and sin.  Or worse, as proof there is no God, because “I know better” than the billions of believers before me.  Even some alcoholics, some drug addicts, some pedophiliacs, and some kleptomaniacs recognize sin as contrary to human nature --- as God created it to be --- and try to change. 

And others tell us to accept them and their sins, because “that’s just who I am.”  And like the rich man, who felt he was being asked by Jesus to give up too much, many of us find ourselves saying that He is asking too much of us.  “They’re my friends.  They’re my children.  They’re good people.”

Except for those sins.

So many of us ignore what God said, for love of our children or friends.  We change, because they won’t.  And we begin singing songs together again, like we always used to sing, now in Babylon.  And we convince ourselves it’s the same song.

No comments:

Post a Comment