Monday, May 13, 2024

Being Joyful

 

On the way to and from Sunday mass, I drive through the village of Dixboro, Michigan.  There, sometimes as I pass by an old cemetery, I glance at all the headstones and pray a prayer for the long-forgotten souls buried therein.  This morning, I noticed a sign as I neared Dixboro, a sign which I have passed by dozens of times, only this morning I took note of the words: “Founded 1824”, exactly 200 years ago.  So, after mass I stopped at that cemetery, and as I walked among those old head-stones I prayed a rosary for the souls buried there.  Many of those stones were worn beyond reading, but one said that the man buried there had been born in 1801!  I wonder, will someone 200 years from now ever stop to pray for me?

Sunday afternoon I went to the adoration chapel I usually visit.  In front of the nearby church I noticed a small tent where some cub-scouts, in uniform, were selling hanging planters.  Since I had not bought any flowers for my porch and deck yet, I went over to them.  When I said I’d like to buy a few, the young boys were very enthusiastic about picking out “the right ones” for me.  After helping me put the flowers in my car, they went back to the tent and I entered the chapel, but I was only there for a moment when the thought came to me: they would be sending a strong message if they marched behind the Eucharist in procession around the downtown park in a few weeks on Corpus Christi Sunday.  I went back outside, and proposed the idea to the scoutmaster, but it was the boys who quickly replied: “Oh, could we?!!”  And there were lots of smiles on their faces.  So I went back into the chapel, smiling myself.  I had resolved to put more joy into my life; oh, this was what joy felt like.

Inside, I spoke to Jesus, and how I now so understood His love for the little ones.  I began reading Day 1 of a novena prayer to Saint Teresa of Calcutta.  It was titled: One at a Time, and the words spoke of how every single person was important to her.  And it ended with this reflection:

“Take time to ponder your life.  Are you in too much of a hurry?  Can you take concrete steps to slow down and love within the present moments of your life so as to be more attentive to needs around you?  Perhaps you can put this on your “to do” list and then make it happen.  At least three times a day pause, and immerse yourself right into the present moment.  Bless yourself with the powerful Sign of the Cross.  Offer God a simple heartfelt prayer: Jesus, help me to live in this moment.  Jesus, I trust in you!  Try not to worry about yesterday or tomorrow.  Live right now.  What could God be asking you in this moment?  After a while you will be more able to consciously stop and pray, and to become aware of the moment.  Ask Mother Teresa to be more aware of needs in those present moments, as well as to listen to God’s whispers to your soul.”

On this Mother’s Day holiday, I recalled how “Mother Teresa” said her focus was always on “that one in need in front of me.”  And despite all the horrible poverty and abandoned children on the streets of Calcutta, she conveyed a joy to all she met, and found joy in the darkest of situations.

I experienced joy today, and I liked it.  I’ll continue to work at getting and giving it more.  If I am trying to live like Jesus, I know that’s a key part of it.  Smile, even in hard times, and perhaps especially at those in need of a smile.         

1 comment:

  1. !I went praying in that cemetery again, and found a well-maintained tombstone that said he was born in 1791 --- and was a veteran of the war of 1812!!

    ReplyDelete