Thursday, August 27, 2026

In Heaven Our Joy Shall Be

In heaven our joy shall be,
To sing eternally:
”May Jesus Christ be Praised”

 

Those words came to mind as I drove home from early morning mass, and looked into the beautiful morning sunrise.  I had greeted a few friends after mass and mentioned how today was my food delivery day.  Driving homewards now, I suddenly remembered how one wintery day I was worried about my safety in getting that food delivery up the walkway to the trailer door where I deliver.  But that day, to my surprise, the walkway was recently shoveled.  And even more surprised when the mentally challenged young man who lived there was standing there in the cold, waiting to shout out to me as I exited my car: “Look Tom, I shoveled the snow.  I even put down salt.”  And he had the biggest smile.  He was so proud of the work he had done.


And as I looked at the beautiful sunrise today, I recalled that young man’s smile, and the joy I felt at that moment; both were indescribable.  He had done something I totally did not expect, nor think even possible --- for me.  And he was so happy to show me how much he cared, for me and all I did for him. 

I’ve written here recently about the depths of contemplative prayer.  Last night, I attended a class where I listened to a theologian speak about the words of P. Marie-Eugene and his book titled: I Want To See God.  In the chapters about contemplative prayer and the mystical life, the speaker, like the author, found it hard to put into words what it is like then, when we let God lead our prayer.  At the class end’s Q&A I submitted a question: Is “Do you love Me (with agape love),” as Jesus said to Peter the key?  The speaker paused (probably unable to find words) but responded yes.

In heaven our joy shall be, to sing eternally, “May Jesus Christ be Praised.”  But in our joy then, we probably won’t use words.  A beautiful sunrise over all creation can’t be described in words, nor can heaven, nor contemplative prayer.  God is leading all three, with a love beyond description.  But we know the joy.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment