Monday, June 21, 2010

Staying A Priest

“Lord I am not worthy to receive you,” I pray each day before receiving communion. I pray that prayer most sincerely and deliberately, for I know I am a sinner, and despite my resolutions otherwise, I will always remain one. The tempter is there, and despite my will to ignore him, I hear his call. And I am no one; I am a common man. I know in my heart that Jesus loves me deeply and eternally; how could the evil one desire me as much? But he seems so often present.

No, no. That is my pride speaking. I am not wanted in love by Satan, but only in Envy. “To those whom much is given, much will be expected.” To the degree I use God’s gifts, and return them to Him, perhaps with even more, I may in some small way sometimes live up to His expectations, His love. I choose to have blessings and give them back to the Father in the same way a mentally-challenged child does, who smiles back at his father and says, “I love you, father.” He can’t give much, but it pleases the Father. I also try to give what I have.

Satan is envious of me; he who received so much, so much more than I, and yet could not return it to the Father, much less with interest. No, he greedily kept all that he was given --- and wanted more. He’s envious that sometimes God shows me His affection, for he gets none. Satan doesn’t love me so much that he wants me in hell with him, no he only wants that the Father not love me, or me the Father. In envy, he does not lust for what I have, no, he only wants the pleasure of seeing me not have it.

But if he who had so much and lost it, wishes the same fate befall me, who have so little, what must he feel about the first sons of God, those whom He has called in a special way, with special gifts, with a deep, special love? What must Satan feel towards priests and those who choose a life focused not on earthly pleasures, but only the pleasure of pleasing God? What must he think of those who have the strength to continue in the Father’s service, when he who was among His strongest, could not?

I know of priests who have left their vocation. Perhaps they really didn’t have a priestly vocation, so some say. I’m sure that’s what the tempter said to them, but not only occasionally as I am targeted, but almost constantly. I’m sure Satan would love to see me fall of the cliff, out of the Father’s love. But oh the joy he must feel if he can lead a shepherd off the cliff, because so many sheep will follow.

The shepherd’s life must, at times, be a lonely one. Out in the pastures, no comforting home in sight, and with the responsibility for sheep, sheep who almost always seem to be in trouble. And there are so many! Surely he must be tempted: “Yes, that one is wandering, but he’ll probably be okay as I nap for a while.” He must think, “Look at all the new young ones --- I’ll leave them in their parent’s care.” And sometimes, even in the night, he must think: “What was that noise? I must have been imagining it. Surely there aren’t any wolves around here.”

And, sadly, some shepherds must think: “It’s lonely out here. No one comes to offer me relief, food for my journey, companionship. Is this the life I’m meant to live, alone like this? I have so many abilities; I could be doing so much more than this. Perhaps I could please my Father if I did something more visible, more important. Surely he would be pleased with that. And so would I.”

While a vocation to the priesthood must be hard to discern, staying a priest must be so much harder. My temptations must be nothing compared to theirs. If I could even think the question: “Perhaps he (Satan) might love me”, how much more must they be tempted by him --- and all he can get to help him. Even us.

How often the flock must ask: “Why don’t you get a misses priest; you can spend some time with her; we’ll be okay.” “Why don’t you take us closer to the house, or into other fields – come on, WE know the way.” “Why don’t you take some time off, we’ll be at a neighbors --- you can trust them.” “Rest some, take it easy, turn down all those requests for help. People need to learn to do things on their own and not be calling you all the time.” How often does the flock tempt him?

It’s hard to accept a Father’s love, his confidence in us, and be content with that, and just doing his will because we know that’s what He expects of us. Especially when our will seems so much more, well…, tempting.

I pray that priests not forget, during their long, sometimes lonely days, the feelings they remember in their hearts of long warm nights, snuggled in their father’s arm on the couch, the fire gently cracking in the fireplace, the music – soft as angels singing – in the background, as they tell dad about their day, and he listens and hugs them. I pray they remember that reward. That’s the supreme temptation they should give in to, to so much want their Father’s love, and His pleasure with them, that they would endure anything. Even us.

I pray that priests not work as stupid children work, just for an allowance, a quick reward for simple tasks like making the bed or washing their hands. No, I pray they remember the satisfaction of a hard day’s work and the receiving of a large paycheck at the end of a long week. I pray they not succumb to the desires for quick rewards, but dedicate themselves toward bigger rewards, and bigger pleasures.

I pray them remember there is a reason they chose to be – and stay – a priest. There is a reason.

P.S. Check out this new website, started on June 20, 2010: www.EncouragePriests.org

2 comments:

  1. "They would endure anything. Even us." Clever!

    I can relate to what you say that becoming a priest is hard, but staying a priest must be harder. That's similar to what is said about weight loss-losing weight is hard, but keeping it off is harder!

    I have a friend who is a priest and he is in a very busy position. I know that I bother him a lot by writing to him frequently about every little thing that bothers me. He always encourages me to keep writing, telling me that he is never too busy to read my emails and will answer as many as he can. I think that I am a real pest about it and it's time I grow up and solve my own problems. Your post tells me that I should keep right on sending those emails, I might feel childish, but it allows him to stay focused on serving God by serving others.

    Thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please, Anne! Did you have to mention losing weight? I try to not write about personal things, but I sure could stand to lose some weight and gain some endurance. Sixty hours a week at mom's and my treadmill breaking a few months ago are all the excuses I need to slack off any exercise program.
    But to your other point, I too am hesitant to write with questions or problems to a friend/priest who is sooo busy. Between speaking at conferences, traveling, and leading so many parish efforts, he is in so much demand. I feel guilty taking any of his time --- but he is one who I have confidence can relate to my questions and problems. He reads as much as I do, and much of the same stuff! I'm pleased when he sometimes responds to one of my email questions saying he welcomes the challenge to think while online.
    I do worry and pray for him and all priests, however. My post, like many, was written in front of the Blessed Sacrament, and was a sincere concern which came to me and I was able to document in, I guess, an interesting fashion. If it gives one priest the courage to stay, it was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete