Tuesday, September 14, 2010

An On-Line Book Review

Why God Matters: How to Recognize Him in Daily Life, by Karina Lumbert Fabian and Deacon Steven Lambert (Tribute Books)
(visit their website)

I was selected from a large group of Catholic bloggers to review this book, written by a Catholic “re-vert” and her convert father. I agreed to do this because it seemed such a simple thing; I regularly read so many books --- what’s one more. It turned out, however, to be anything but simple.

As anyone who has read my blather in this space knows, I desire and encourage spiritual growth, in part because, as the Catholic Church states, a key purpose of our life is to grow in holiness. So I had some initial misgivings at a first reading of this short book when, instead of promoting spiritual growth, it seemed to be saying: “Look, see how much we’ve grown! Let’s celebrate where we’re at!” This seemed almost childish to me, and the book seemed to tell stories of minor importance --- until I remembered that I was once a child myself, and even some of the smallest things once seemed very big to me.

The book’s cover indicated Why God Matters was written by and for “average” Catholics, and it was written without “religiosity.” “Why God matters,” written in a non-religious way? I, a reader of philosophers, theologians, popes, and doctrinal exegesis, was confused by this simple book before I even read the first page! While I enjoy both the depth of Cantalamessa and the simplicity of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, I didn’t know how to make sense of what I was reading in this book.

For a while, as I read through the 14 simple stories in Why God Matters, my mind was looking for God in the words, in His great complexity and eternal beauty – but many of the stories never even mentioned the word “God”. I was looking for deepness, but I had forgotten Him as I first saw Him, much earlier in my life, as in the simple picking of a flower, or in the comfort of my mother’s hug. I had forgotten the simple joy a child feels (and which we, even as adults, can re-live) when he yells: “Mommy! Mommy! Look, a bug!” The child smiles at his new-found wonder, and so do we. As I began to recall these things, I began to see the beauty so many “average” Catholics have said they see in this book. It is a celebration of God in our lives, in the simple things.

I’ve read many “Catholic” books, from those which challenge me to meditate and grow in love of God, to those which celebrate being Catholic --- except for all those things, you know, that the Church does wrong (and which, they note, is just about everything). This book really is between those extremes; it’s aimed at the Catholic who accepts and loves his faith, even if perhaps he is not as “on fire” as some others. This book takes small snapshots of our life, and enables you to see HIM in the picture. The book shows how much our Catholic faith influences how we think and live, like in its chapters about how we love our neighbor by sharing food with them, or worrying that we’re too much of a burden on them as they wait to pick us up at the airport. It shows that God loves us, through simple reminders to be virtuous or to grow in our faith, or through great acts of our guardian angels to protect us from harm. It is our Catholic faith; it is a way to live our lives --- with God. He is there, He matters, even if we so often forget to notice Him. This book serves to remind us.

On the sidebar of this blog you can see the Prayer to the Apostle Paul, which I pray before mass: “Give us a deep faith, a steadfast hope, a burning love for Our Lord.” Recall how important the adjectives are in our life. Without them life is a dull event. I pray that readers of this book use it to begin to see that deepness, that steadfastness, and that burning in their own lives. It is: why He matters.

The authors of Why God Matters don’t write with many adjectives such as these. Oh, I’m sure they could write the beautiful words of Augustine, late have I loved You, but from reading this book I wouldn’t expect them to write his words: I pant after You. I have tasted You and I hunger and thirst after You. Such emotions are not contained in their words. They don’t write of their tears upon receiving the Eucharist, but try to explain why they don’t want a relationship with Him. Even as they are confident they see Him in their lives, it appears there is so much more they have to learn to know Him; it will take a lifetime of learning. But, hey, they’re young, and they’ve learned the journey can be a joy.

Take a walk with them on their journey in this book; see their joy. See yours. Look!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on our book with your readers.

    I did want to stress one important point, though. We never said we didn't want a relationship with God. Here's from the book:

    "I want a relationship with God. I just don’t want it to be “personal.” I want a relationship that encompasses all of God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. One where he is as all-powerful as he is all-loving, where he listens to my trivial concerns (I really was miffed about Firefly) with benevolence and maybe amusement—yet one where I can rage and share all and come crawling to him when I’m weak and confess my wrongdoings, knowing that no matter how small and wretched I am, he will be there for me, because after all, he is God."

    I, too, have cried tears of joy at receiving the Eucharist, but that wasn't the point of this book. God is in the everyday of life, but sometimes we forget that, or get so caught up in the day-to-day that they forget to see it. Why God Matters is, as you said, about seeing the joy of God's influence in the ordinariness of life. Thanks again for sharing that with your readers.

    Blessings,
    Karina Fabian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarifying point, Karina. I wrote that last paragraph as an afterthought, as I posted the piece before leaving for mass this morning. Sorry I didn't re-check the article before posting.

    As you can tell, the simple writing of your book was hard for me to come to terms with --- but I got there. It is so easy to think that everyone else is like us -- or should be. This past week I spoke to one person about his work on the RCIA committee, and another on her work on an evangelization committee, and referenced your book. We agreed that we need to adjust our mindset to that of what is the "average" Catholic or Christian, to re-enforce where they are at, so the Holy Spirit (not us) can help them grow. It was good that I thought a lot, and prayed a lot, about your book. It helped me to grow.

    Relative to your comment about tears, I think it would have improved the book to write more of your emotions. I felt left to speculate somewhat on the degree the incidents depicted reached your heart, and how much you thought on them afterward. The emotions might better have shown WHY God mattered (personally), to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom - thank you for your spirited discussion of 'Why God Matters.'

    I feel as a fellow Catholic, Karina & Deacon Steve's book best exemplifies:

    Jesus said “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” – Luke 18:17

    At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure. Matthew 11:25-26

    The book is meant to meet most Catholics where they are at in life - going to work, running kids to soccer practice, putting a meal on the table, etc. The majority are longing to experience God in the midst of everyday chaos, and I feel in these circumstances reaching them with a simplistic message is best.

    Our minds are bombarded on a continual basis with words, images, etc. - breaking down the essential message of faith allows it to break through our overburdened consciousness.

    Thanks again for sharing the book with your blog readers and best wishes with your work on your parish's RCIA committee.

    Best wishes,
    Nicole
    Tribute Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice job of presenting the inner heart view of your opinion on this book. I we could see both sides to every story that takes us in, makes us a part of it, asks us for our decision or opinion, perhaps we could make this world on earth a little better of a place to be. Thanks again. k

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Tom,

    I appreciate the time you took with this book, and that you're discussed it with others.

    Interesting that you didn't find the stories emotional, because some still make me cry, perhaps because I lived them. At any rate, it did make me think of a friend I have. He was a strong Catholic, an incredibly intelligent and well read man who also taught RE. For years, he begged God for an emotional "tears-at-the-altar" experience. He never had that experience, and after a while he gave up his faith entirely. It's a tragedy, and I pray for him and his family who struggle to keep their faith alive despite his atheism.

    I'm not so arrogant as to think our book would have changed his decision so many years ago, but I do hope that it helps others realize that God can be found in the simple, the ordinary, the very mundane aspects of this human life.

    Blessings,
    Karina Fabian

    ReplyDelete