Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tell Them You Love Them ...

It's been over 3 years since my dad died, and I chanced to read this morning the note I sent out after his funeral. It was worth my reading again. Perhaps it will be worth your time, and meditation, also.


August 26, 2006

Dear Friends;

To me, you are that, in the very deepest meaning of the word. When I was lost, despairing, and often feeling alone in dealing with the affairs of my dad’s illness and death, you were there. I am sure that he IS proud of each one of you. Whether you dropped by, came to the wake or funeral, sent a card or donation, or just called – my nieces and I read every card, reflected on every visitor, spoke of your kind words – and cried. We feel so very blessed that you took the time to let us know you cared.

I want to tell you also about an event that happened last May. When I visited mom and dad, I felt compelled to spend some time one afternoon and tell dad, sincerely, how much he meant to me in my life, and how much I loved him. Oh, he knew it, but I believe he needed to hear it – and God gave me the grace and wisdom to know I needed to say it. And I believe it helped reinforce the final words I spoke to him last month as he lay dying: “It’s ok, dad. I love you, dad. Don’t be afraid.” And he went in peace.

Thank you again, for being a friend in my family’s time of grief. But it wasn’t all grief. We felt a tremendous outpouring of love for what God has given us. Family and friends. I pray that you never fail to take the opportunity to tell your family and friends that you love them. It will mean so much to them – and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment