Thursday, October 10, 2019

Self-Healing Tips


I just got back from my workout at the gym.  No, I am not buff; I’m tired.  Most exercises my trainer puts me through are bearable, but the plank at the end is a workout plus ---- for all the saints, my guardian angel, and even God, as I ask: “Hey, guys.  You said you’d always be there.  I need you.  Can you do part of this, as in “My yoke is easy?” 
And I got through it, barely.
I use a trainer because otherwise I’d procrastinate; I know me.  It also helps pass the time, as we talk about our lives.  Today at the end he told me of a discussion he had with his ex- last night.  She called and asked if he would take the two-year old to an appointment, and he readily agreed.  “Then,” he said, “I asked her if she wanted to just leave him with me overnight Friday, since it was my weekend with to have him and this would save her the trips of picking him up Friday evening only to bring him back Saturday morning.  She said no immediately, and I didn’t respond, but we went on talking on other things.  Then, after thinking a bit, she said ‘You know, it would be better if you just kept him the night; thank you.’”  And my trainer beamed.  “I wanted to argue when she said no, but I DO remember how we talked about this, and so I let it go, and she came around.  Things ARE getting better.  Thank you.”
One day during our session, shortly after his divorce, he spoke of how mean she was, especially about matters concerning their son, often not consulting him.  I counseled him how divorce --- or any trauma --- leaves scars and open wounds which need healing.  “Any touching of those wounds, even to apply ointment, renews the pain.  You need to not do anything which touches upon those wounds your ex-wife is feeling from the divorce.  With healing will come more cooperation on your son, who you will be jointly raising for many years.”  And, I am pleased to hear, he is working on what we had discussed.
I think that advice applies to spiritual wounds also.  Sometimes things happen which we just don’t understand, perhaps in part because we are not God, but we want to scream at God: Why?  God doesn’t need healing, but often we do, even if we don’t realize it.  Don’t scream to God about the pain; He knows it is there, even as a parent does of his child.  Just follow along; continue the conversation; healing will occur.  And, perhaps, you will see why the pain was necessary.  Perhaps. 
My Jesus, I trust in You is not a simple prayer to say with meaning, especially in times of pain.  But it does promote healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment