Friday, August 27, 2021

A Forgiven Killer

 

In a recent conversation, I was led to recall an incident I had read of in the paper, about a killer who was forgiven by the parents of the person killed.  The reason it made the paper was that, not only did the parents forgive the killer, but the entire Amish community, which felt it lost a beloved son, forgave the killer.  He was invited to an Amish service, where all could express their forgiveness to the killer.  It was such a remarkable event that it made the national newspapers.

Tonight, as I knelt in church after receiving communion, out of the blue I suddenly recalled the incident of the forgiven killer, and I also realized that I too am a forgiven killer.  Jesus, who died because of my sins, forgave me and now willingly comes to be with me.  He forgave my sin which resulted in His death, and not only a church community but God Himself (!!) forgives me.

There are no headlines big enough to scream how remarkable, how remarkably loving and forgiving, our God is.  And I can’t thank Him enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment