Thursday, February 24, 2022

Can't You Give Me 10 Minutes?

 

A couple of you responded to my last blog posting, suggesting it would be a good thing for friends to gather together to talk, and specifically to talk with a key friend, God.  No one suggested any time or day to do this.

Tonight, I was at the Adoration Chapel saying my evening prayers, when I suddenly recalled some old saying: “Couldn’t you spend ten minutes with Me?”  Or maybe it was “Couldn’t you spend ten minutes in prayer.”   Regardless, that led me to recall the 10-minute worship service I attended last Friday (because of the snow) at nearby St. John Neumann Catholic Church, in Canton.  (I was a founding member of that church.)

My thoughts stopped there as my mind flittered with inviting people to come and pray with me for that 10 minutes.  It seemed a little silly.  But then I read one of my night prayer reflections is on Adoration of the Eucharist, using a book given me by a good friend.  And I read this prayer:

So, You see, my Savior, I love You.  I want to have You with me always as my dearest possession.  To be here in Your presence, to see You enter into so many hearts --- not only mine --- that were too much for me.  … So, I come, my Savior.  I fly to Your arms.  I lose myself completely in the infinitude of Your Heart.  But I come, too, to give You all the joy that man can give; for You desire even more ardently than I to see me at Your holy table.  Oh, so gladly do I come to give You half-an-hour’s Eucharistic happiness.”

Half-an-hour? 

“I hasten to You because You long for me … because You call me … seek me.  Yes, I fly to You; for You entice me with Your gifts; You encourage me to come with Your graces and promises … Here I am, Divine Savior.” 

Coincidently (tee-hee), tonight another heavy snow is beginning as I write this.  I will be, therefore, in the St. John Neumann’s church NLT 6:30P tomorrow (Friday) night with, I assume, a few others unknown to me.  It would be nice to pray and sing together to God with some of my friends (and His), even if for only the 10 minutes.  (That IS an invite.)

And there is one other thought that won’t leave my mind.  It’s my dying Protestant friend who insisted I take her to an adoration chapel, and the words she said afterward: “I can’t believe how much He loves me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment