Wednesday, February 16, 2022

I Need More Eyes

 

We had a foot of snow in Michigan one day last week, and now we are supposed to get another pile tomorrow evening.  I had thought the pile last week was the annual ‘big dump’, as I paid the neighbor kids to shovel it.  My snowblower died and I couldn’t see the benefit of buying another expensive one to be used only one day a year.  If we get any more ‘big dumps’, I may re-think that this summer (but if inflation spikes the prices, maybe I won’t.)

As a pre-snowfall blessing, today the temperatures rose to near 50, and we had a big melt-off, which not only flooded streets, but expanded the many new (and big) potholes.  I went to church to say my night prayers early, so I cold see the wet roads better.  Unfortunately, I spent most of my drive spying the big pot hole before I hit them.  And spying the on-coming traffic if I had to swerve to avoid the huge potholes, and spying the cars ahead, and watching the traffic signals as I approached them ---- I need more eyes!  And driving around during rush hour was a mistake, because even if I spotted a big hole before I hit it, I usually couldn’t swerve into the busy on-coming traffic lane to avoid it.

Sheesh!

- - - - - - - -

But I’m not complaining.  Today’s Scripture reading, my recent Bible Study class, and today’s Bible in a Year reading all talked about trusting in God.  Bad things may be happening, but we need to trust God to change things that are beyond our control, or that He will use them for our good.  In the book of Exodus, when Moses was on the mountain for a long time, the Jews made a golden calf in the desert, to worship the God like the Egyptians had worshipped their gods.  But God said: “What are you doing?  I’ve been telling you how to worship me.”  But if God didn’t seem to be around, the Jews wanted to be in control --- like Adam did in the Garden of Eden, and like we do today.  Things aren’t as we like or understand them, so we want to take control and “fix things” to our liking.  But the Divine Mercy prayer is “Jesus, I trust in You.”  Even if our sky is falling, that needs to be our prayer:  Jesus, I trust in You.

Trusting in Him means we are not in control.  We are not like God.  That is a hard admission to make for many of us.  And so, we just keep worrying about the potholes, even the little ones.  And wasting our time writing about them.

- - - - - - - - - -

And speaking about trusting and letting God be in control, yesterday evening my Bitdefender software detected that my blog website was infected, and it gave me a warning message not to go onto that site.  My blog of 15 years I could no longer access??  So, I tried anyway, and Bitdefender wouldn’t let me.  At first, I went looking into the Bitdefender information to see if there was a way around or a number I could call or email, but it was not obvious.  So, I called a geek friend and asked him to look into it.  Meanwhile I saw where I could send Bitdefender a problem notice, but it seemed to be telling Bitdefender there was a problem with their program, but I sent the notice to them anyway, telling what happened.  And, then I saw there were websites where you could pay $100 or more to have someone clean your websites if they became infected.  I went to sleep to think on it.  And this morning, I saw that my Bitdefender software now let me access my blog again, without any error messages or warnings.  My geek friend says that web servers routinely check for problems, and probably they cleared it.  Then, I got a note from Bitdefender saying they had taken care of the problem.  I’m not sure how it got fixed, but … 

I think God fixed it for me, and I needn’t have been worried.  But I DO recommend Bitdefender as a great computer protection software program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment