Saturday, May 7, 2022

Will You Be My Friend?

 

A few weeks ago, I began walking with someone I’ve known for years.  She walks 3 or 4 times a day.  She’s in her 80’s and has kids and grandkids.  This week after our walk she asked me: “Will you be my friend?”  I didn’t understand the question, because I felt I was doing a friendly thing walking with her.  But she explained she wanted more, specifically someone to play games with sometimes.  She had always played games growing up, with her husband, with her kids, and still does with her kids/grand-kids --- on their infrequent get-togethers.  She does not own nor desire to own a computer, so computer games are out, and her phone is only used for calls. She said her television is always on, but she doesn’t watch it, but likes the sound of voices in the house. I’ve boxed up all my old games from the closet and will take them to her house to play or for her to give to her kids/grandkids.  And perhaps will use my computer see if she might develop an interest in some computer games, and could then I could get her a computer.  I’ll also get her an application to the local PORCH charity I helped start (Providing Others Renewed Confidence and Hope).  She seems a prime candidate for this level of friendship, but I’ve been shown more.

Friends, who they are and what they are, seems to be a prime topic for me this week:

·         Mt 21:33 was about the wicked tenants of the vineyard, who eventually killed the owner’s son.  The Friday Bible Study group went in depth on why the owner chose them in the first place, as friends?  Why not forgive them seventy times seven?

·         Jn 6 was today’s Gospel about the Eucharist; “I am the bread of life; he who eats me will have life eternal.”  Many followers of Jesus then left; “This is a hard thing to accept.”  Then Jesus asked His apostles: “Are you going to leave me too?”  But Peter answered: “Lord, where would we go; You have the words of eternal life.”  It’s as if Jesus asked them: “Will you still be my friends?”  And this reminded me of months ago when I took a dying friend to the Adoration Chapel, and she came out crying: “I can’t believe how much He loves me.”  That’s about friends also.  Friends love, God IS Love.

·         I listened to a reflection on today’s First Reading at Mass, where a follower of The Way had died.  She was known for her almsgiving, and Peter went to her and said: “Tabitha, rise.”  The person explaining this passage noted that the almsgiving Tabitha was known for was her sewing --- like the woman I helped rescue from the wrecked trailer now sews for St. John Neumann parish charity works, and is said to be a great blessing.

·         The Bible in a Year passage today was on 2 Sam 9, where David sought out any heir of Saul, and found his friend Jonathan’s son, a cripple, who David brought to his house to always eat with him, and gave him all of Saul’s lands as his due inheritance.  Fr. Mike commented: “You don’t forget your friends --- even if they might become your natural enemies, like any heir of Saul could be/become to David.”  And Fr. Mike concluded his reflection as usual: “Please pray for me and all our listening family; we are praying for you.”  But this time he added: “People are praying for you; you are not alone.”

·         Finally, this morning I read a reflection from Divine Intimacy, #157, Aridity and Contemplation.  It quotes St. John of the Cross how as some grow closer to Jesus, they at times begin a “sense” of Him.  Many of the saints lost the consolations from God they treasured because God knew they didn’t need any proof of His love.  The closing prayer of that meditation talks to Jesus as a friend, asking Him: “Where are You?  Why do You not console me, since I have no friend but You? … Make me love You enough to suffer for you whatever You choose.   Many serve you, O Jesus, when You console them, but … who will serve You for Yourself?  O grant that it may be I.”         Friends are.

No comments:

Post a Comment