Friday, August 26, 2022

Love Includes Service

 

I wrote on this blog about the Plymouth Right to Life dinner, featuring Fr. John Riccardo, Jim Harbaugh, and Dr. Ray Guerendi.  Most recently, I wrote of the events in Poland, where the Polish people are taking into their homes millions of Ukraine refugees, who are mostly women and children.  I reflect on those things as I now sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament this morning, and consider today’s further events.

This Friday morning men’s Bible Study started with men speaking of retirement and changing homes.  One said he might consider keeping his Michigan home, as a place to visit some months.  I briefly mentioned how the Polish people took refugees into their homes --- but no one got my thought, or didn’t want to think about it:  why not offer for him and his wife to stay in your homes when they visit?   The conversation moved on.

Later, on my way to mass, I heard a radio interview with Jim Harbaugh, speaking about his Right to Life talk.  He said how at age 5 he heard of people who had left their babies outside to die, and he was shocked.  At age 9, he heard of a dead baby found in a dumpster, and he recalled in his bedroom thinking “me and my brother could have taken care of that baby and raised it.  They didn’t have to throw it away.”  Coach Harbaugh then said how he had counseled his football team and associates that should they ever find themselves or a loved one with an unplanned pregnancy, they should come and talk to him.  He and his wife, Sarah, would gladly take in and raise the child.  He further spoke of the 2 million people in the U.S. seeking to adopt, and of Dr. Ray Guerendi, who had adopted 10 children.  Harbaugh strongly expressed his understanding and respect for those holding other opinions on controversial topics, but he felt that with discussion and respect we can live together in peace.  And then I thought again of what the people of Poland are doing, in peace.

At mass I prayed: “Lord, have mercy on us, and on the whole world.”  And I thought: But how willing are WE to have mercy?  The people of Poland are showing us how to live in love and mercy.  They are taking in women and children in need.  Would we?  Would our church in the United States, our diocese, our parish --- or us --- say that troubled women and children can come to our house; I will care for them?  I believe this could (should?) be our answer to those who say abortion is the only answer.  If we believe in what Jesus did, this should be our living out of that belief; we will take them in and care for them.

- - - - - - - - -

I read my Morning Prayers, starting with this Hymn:

Lord, whose love in humble service
Bore the weight of human need,
Who did on the Cross, forsaken,
Show us mercy’s perfect deed:
We, your servants, bring the worship
Not of voice alone, but heart,
Consecrating to your purpose
Every gift which you impart.

As we worship, grant us vision,
Till your love’s revealing light,
Till the height and depth and greatness
Dawn upon our human sight;
Making known the needs and burdens
Your compassion bids us bear,
Stirring us to faithful service
Your abundant life to share.

Called from worship into service
Forth in your great name we go,
To the child, the youth, the aged,
Love in living deeds to show,
Hope and health, goodwill and comfort,
Counsel, aid, and peace to give,

That your children, Lord, in freedom,
May your mercy know, and live.

- - - - - - - - -

 

I know there are countless arguments against taking anyone, strangers, into YOUR home, but the Polish people gave example that it CAN BE done, in love, which includes service.  I wrote once about a charity in my community which matched lonely seniors with people willing to visit and talk with them.  That charity, as does my Meals on Wheels charity, runs a background check on volunteers, to prevent abuse.  The same could be done on any efforts to help pregnant or new mothers.  Jesus demonstrated that our wants, even our safety, are not number one; loving God and neighbor is.  He is number one.

And I also know there are some who would change the discussion:  Well, then why can’t we ask Catholics to take in all the refugees crossing the border?  There is a difference in taking in my neighbor, or those in my parish or in my community versus some stranger sneaking across the border.  Helping pregnant moms versus helping refugees (who may be crossing to border to become prostitutes or slaves) is not the same thing.

Oh, and I WILL send a note to my Bible study friend, that he and his wife are always welcome to stay with me when they visit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment