Thursday, December 29, 2022

A Mass for John Wayne

 

John Wayne was seen by the public as “a good man”, in my opinion.  His movies always seemed wholesome, and he always was the good guy.  I remember them fondly.  I read that John Wayne refused to take part in any immoral movies, which had begun to spread around Hollywood.

John Wayne was born named Marion Morrison.  His (first) wife was named Josephine.  She was Catholic, and they married in a Catholic church and agreed to raise their children Catholic.  Their four kids all attended Catholic schools.  Unfortunately, they divorced, but she did not remarry until after his death.  His third wife, named Pilar, was also Catholic.  John Wayne always had lots of Catholic friends and bishops and priests in his life, but it was not until two days before he died that John Wayne requested to be accepted into the Catholic Church, and was.  It was a classic deathbed conversion story, but why am I writing about it now?

As I attend mass every morning, I choose to sit in a back corner of the church.  Perhaps it is to avoid some virus bugs which may be present, but it is also some recognition of my worth.  Sitting on the same corner chair each morning, I’ve come to notice the flooring in front of me.  It is off-white colored, with grey-black swirls and shapes, and I’ve gradually noticed that some seem familiar to me.  One seems to me to be the eyes of Jim Caviezel, who played Christ in The Passion; the eyes look at me.  Another seems to be the eyes of Kathy Anderson, the smallest daughter in the old series Father Knows Best.  Others seem to be like angels.  But off to my right is an image of what looks to me like John Wayne, with the large cowboy hat, squinting eyes and gritting teeth --- as if he’s out bronco riding.  The image seems very clear to me, and for some reason this morning I recalled once reading that he had a deathbed conversion ---- and perhaps because I’ve felt called in recent days to pray for the souls of the dead, this morning I prayed for the soul of John Wayne.

When I did an internet search later this morning, I found that John Wayne’s original name was Marion, and his original wife, Josephine.  I’ve recently felt compelled to offer novena prayers for souls in Purgatory, and the meditation book I’ve used mentions that deathbed conversions are a wonderful thing, but that those souls will likely spend their days in Purgatory, until the day of the Final Judgement.  It recommends prayers for those poor souls.  Marion and Josephine, Mary and Joseph, Christmas, He came to save all souls.

I think I will have a mass offered for John Wayne.  Perhaps it should be for Marion, but I am sure Jesus will know who he is.

- - - - - - - - - -

I received a nice thank you note from Sr. Mary of St. Joseph, the head of a group of cloistered nuns in London.  I send them books at Christmas.  This year was a bit more complicated as Amazon required me to open a United Kingdom account before it would ship my order to them, and the Amazon UK orders did not allow you to enclose gift notes, so I worried the nuns would not know where the books came from.  I needn’t have worried.

She wrote me: “Two lovely books have been received and they can only be from you.  It is wonderful to have Cardinal Sarah’s latest book.  We actually had a visit from him recently, when he was in London, and he gave us a copy of his book on Priesthood, but we did not have “The Catechism of the Spiritual Life” and we are so grateful to you.  Habits for Holiness looks excellent too.  God bless your kind heart.  With Carmel’s prayer – not forgetting the soul of your dear mother.
                                Sr. Mary of St. Joseph”

Now first, I was pleased she recognized the books as likely being from me.  But I was totally surprised at their visit by Cardinal Sarah.  I know those nuns rarely have visitors, and to have him and then the book I chose which was written by him?  I don’t believe in coincidences.  And Sister’s last line was also pleasing to me.  I mentioned I have begun recently praying for souls in Purgatory, but I had especially felt called to pray for the souls of my parents.  And now here was Sr. Mary, who for some reason felt the need to comment that she and the sisters are praying for my mother.  She had never made that comment in past notes I received from her.

I don’t believe in coincidences.  And I am sure my mother is most pleased with the prayers of the sisters, as John Wayne will be for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment