Sunday, January 8, 2023

The Holy Spirit Speaks, We Act

 

In recent years, and even more so in recent months, I see the Holy Spirit acting in and around me.  But today I was reminded that I once felt compelled to write a letter to Cardinal Ratzinger, and so I looked and saw I still have a copy of it on my computer.  It was written and mailed to Cardinal Ratzinger on April 27, 2002:

 

Prefect Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

Vatican City, Italy

 

Subject:  What Would Jesus Do?  The Problem of the Church in the United States

 

Dear Cardinal Ratzinger:

The above subject is a cute phrase which is popular in the United States among Christians, and many wear little bracelets with WWJD on them as a reminder to always be asking that question.  Many believe, as I do, that often He will give us the answer to that question, if we but ask.

This morning I had breakfast with a friend and, in this week in which the U.S. cardinals returned from Rome, we discussed the Church.  We discussed and prayed:  What Would Jesus Do? 

On the drive back home, I listened briefly to a discussion on a radio station that is focused on the Catholic faith.  The discussion mentioned St Robert Bellamine, described as a “Saint of the Counter-Reformation”.  St. Robert Bellamine was ordered back to Rome to teach at the seminary there to German and English students because he was such an eloquent and logical speaker on the teachings of the Catholic Church, and many who were influenced by Luther’s words were re-educated in the beauty of the teachings of the Catholic Church.  Through Robert Bellamine and others, the tide was turned.

The radio program I heard this morning seemed to be an answer to my question of WWJD.  I’m sure, reverend cardinal, that you already have considered making changes in our seminaries, ending the heresy taught in some of them.  There are many very good seminaries, and transferring some of the wonderful leaders and teachers from them to other seminaries and Catholic institutions of learning might be a start to again recognizing and teaching Truth, especially here in the U.S., to counter the influence of humanism and relativism.

There are many good and loyal priests here -- perhaps the majority.  But there are many others like a local pastor who gathered his parish to explain the problems in the Church:  “The pope has been influenced by the Curia to go against the teachings of Vatican II.  They are trying to bring back the triangle-shaped organization structure of the Middle Ages, opposing the oval-shaped Church organization envisioned by Vatican II where everyone is an equal in their worth and presentation before God”.  Hundreds attended this presentation, and few questioned the pastor’s teaching. 

Actually, I tend to agree with this pastor as he describes how people should relate in the Church, only he envisions priests and bishops coming down to the level of the laity, being influenced as they are by the culture.  Yes, that is happening and Rome is opposing – however in thinking that THIS pope is influenced by the Curia and is against the teachings of Vatican II, he is sorely wrong.  I see the same structure as ideal, but one in which the laity is lifted UP to the level of knowledge and faith of loyal priests and bishops.  The members of the Catholic Church need to be lifted UP in unity, not brought down.  I suspect this local pastor and many other priests will be sorely disappointed when, after our Holy Father finally is given an earthly rest by our Lord, the next pope does not radically change the teachings of the Catholic Church.  This pastor and others will leave.  We must be prepared for this continuing Chastisement, and we must humbly accept it.

Your eminence, I don’t propose to offer you advice.  I only write to tell you of how an answer came to me to my question of “What Would Jesus Do” today.  Perhaps your putting some leaders of reform in the right places, as happened to St. Robert Bellamine, is the start of what Jesus would do --- with our assistance.  We will not see a solution in our lifetimes, but we can start. 

For myself, I will take what talents He has given me and seek His answer to my question of “How can I use these for You?” here in my station in life.  I trust that through the media of Catholic radio, television, and newspapers, through the writings of blessed teachers such as yourself, through education programs taught at my parish, and perhaps through the inclinations His Holy Spirit sends me as I pray before the Eucharist, I might somehow serve Him in an acceptable manner.

I wish you well, your eminence, as you try to do what Jesus would have you do, and pray for both you and this Church that you represent so well.  May we both have nothing to regret in how we used these many talents He has given us when we finally meet Him face to face.      

Sincerely,

 

Did the cardinal read my letter?  I don’t recall if I ever received any type of response, but it was not too long after this that he was elected Pope Benedict XVI, and one of the things he did in his first year as pope was to change the leadership in many U.S. seminaries, including the one here in Detroit.  And they began producing more loyal priests.  Was the Holy Spirit at work here?  Ah, where isn’t He at work?

No comments:

Post a Comment