Friday, October 18, 2024

Fat and Happy

 

The sun in the totally cloudless sky has been almost the common day of late; it is absolutely beautiful.  Yesterday evening, however, the huge rising moon challenged the sun in beauty.  The late fall harvest moon almost invited you to sing.  Certainly, it inspired me to reflect on many things.  But one thing I also thought of was that the local ice cream parlor was closing in a few days for the winter, and I had never stopped there this year.  So, I turned around and drove back and ordered whatever they liked to make --- it was a hot fudge and pastry sundae.  Yummy.  It was my dinner.  Okay, maybe not totally.  A bit later I had an urging for some protein, and so had some meatloaf.

Then, this morning as I left for church, I saw the huge sun in the clear Eastern sky again, but as I turned West there, at the exact same height and the seemingly exact same size, was a soft shadow of the moon.  I’m here too, it seemed to say.  What a beautiful start to the day.

After mass, I recalled that a friend had expressed some interest in a woman’s retreat that another friend was putting on.  So, I stopped home and got the flier and went to my friend’s office in downtown Plymouth.  But as I parked, I suddenly recalled the new Helen’s bakery which was only a couple of doors down.  So, I went in and bought samplings of all their custom cookies, pastries, and pies.  They all looked yummy, and were put in two boxes for me.  And at under $20, their prices almost outshine their pastries.  One box I took to my friend’s office, and the other I will take to my Bible Study meeting tomorrow morning.

I guess fat and happy is a good description of how things have been going for me of late.  I know, however, that whenever you are basking in consolations, you should be also be preparing for the inevitable desolations which will come at some point.  I know that.  But, at the moment, in my heart I am smiling at God’s goodness to me.

Sundaes, pastries, and sun and moon, yes, they all make me think of being fat and happy.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

And if things couldn’t get better, last week I had problems with my blog.  I couldn’t open it from Foxfire which I use for my access to the internet.  A message came up saying my cookies were out of sync.  I tried all sorts of ways to fix that, and finally gave up and went over to the computer geeks at the local computer store.  They couldn’t fix it either, but showed me an alternative way to access my blog, using Microsoft Edge.  (And they didn’t charge me anything for the hour of their time!)

For days I checked if anything changed with my Foxfire access, but still got the strange error message, only when I tried to access my blog site.

This morning, just now, I could access my blog again, to post this paper. 

Yes, fat and happy is a good title for this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment