Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Humility

Orig: 09/26/08

I am not a pessimist, nor do I claim to have answers to any of the major problems to facing our country, but sometimes the actions of our "leaders" just make me a little sad. I think I read in one of my grammar school books that democracies try to elect the best and brightest to help lead their countries. I think the operative word is "try".

Meanwhile, my best and brightest friends, it is among the last days of summer-like weather. Even if you can only look out the window as you work, take a moment to ponder the many blessings you have. And in all humility, trust.

T


A Letter to the Editor of the Wall Street Journal:

I think the Catholic Church does it right. In times of deep crisis, the death of a pope, it locks its church leaders in a room away from cameras and microphones. There are no public debates; no citizen's "right to know". No one screaming to the microphone that he knows the answer -- vote for me! And they begin each of their deliberations with a prayer, calling on the one they believe who DOES know the answers.

History says that some individuals they elected as pope seemed to be far from perfect, but the church has survived very well for over 2000 years. Wouldst that our congressional "leaders" were wise enough -- and humble enough -- to act as the Catholic Church leaders do in crisis. Unfortunately, they seem to act as if there is no need for quiet and humble deliberations. Each seems to be saying to the others: "Listen! Turn to me! I have the answers!" That sounds a lot like what the Catholic Church leaders are in fact doing -- but the person they are turning to is not at a microphone.

How sad how far this country and its leaders have fallen to pride. I think I can now understand how in some countries generals have taken over from elected leaders, and in others governments have been dissolved in mid-term for lack of confidence. And I sometimes ponder what would have happened if a flight had not crashed in the fields of Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment