Friday, August 7, 2009

Lies and Truth

Orig: 08/02/07

Fear not, for I have redeeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

I listened as a young man told me "All my life they predicted I would never amount to anything", he said, "I finally believed them."

Our world is full of people who are held captive by the lies of others. Perhaps they heard "Can't you do anything right?" Or, "Face the facts, you don't have what it takes."

Some strong-hearted people are able to throw off this kind of negative feedback, but in others the wounds are buried so deep that the person may not even recall them at a conscious level. But the message isn't forgotten.

As we open our hearts to the Father's tender mercy, his healing love does radical things to us. It closes the wounds cut by those harsh words so long ago, and we find our true reason for existence, our purpose for living. Best of all, we begin to experience real joy within.

Regardless of how many lies we have listened to and believed, we need to know what God has to say about us; that we are treasures in his eyes and that we cannot even count the times he thinks of us! We must choose now to believe what God says about us rather than to believe other people's lies -- and even our own.

Jesus, I will come to you and listen for the truth, and I will renounce and reject the lies the world tries to make me believe.

Between Sundays Week 9 Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment