Sunday, July 12, 2009

In God We Trust

The woman at the grocery checkout paid with food stamps, and was told she owed an additional $2.56 cash for non-covered items. As she and the clerk began searching bags to remove the items, I stepped forward and paid the $2.56. "Thank you", she said. "God bless you." It wasn't much; I expect I'll be paying out more in the future. I expect I'll be needing many more blessings, too.

The news this morning noted that the UofM forecast unemployment near 16% for the state of Michigan next year, while another economist said up to 22%. I suspect no one wants to hear that, much less believe it. It's very scary. Friday, I received a publication in the mail which said to buy gold, silver, and guns. Very, VERY scary.

The readings at church today told of the Old Testament prophet who was sent away because he prophetized against the kingdom. The king didn't want to hear it; it was scary. In the New Testament gospel, the apostles were sent out to preach and heal and told to take nothing with them, no food, no money. Nothing. That would be a very scary thing to do. One point to be taken from both of the readings, I believe, is that you must trust in God in good times, and bad. Especially in the bad. And that to totally trust is scary, very scary.

Matthed 6:25-34 contains some of my favorite words of the bible. It starts out: "Do not be anxious". A lot of the words I put in this blog are about trusting God. The king didn't, the apostles did.

So what are you doing during these scary times? What's your reaction to scary news. Myself, I don't think I will be buying any gold or silver -- or guns. I'll try to take care of those around me in need -- across the street or in the checkout line. I'll try to not worry about my bank balance, or if the bank will even be there tomorrow. I'll try to follow our country's motto: "In God We Trust". And I'll try to remember the words of Matthew.

And I'll be praying: My Jesus, I Trust In You.

No comments:

Post a Comment