Sunday, March 1, 2020

Little Miracles


Jesus was tempted by Satan to change stones into bread, but Jesus would
not satisfy His hunger, nor impress men by means of a brilliant miracle,
nor accept kingdoms and wealth because in a spirit of perfect filial
confidence, He entrusted everything to the Father’s care – His life,
His mission, and His Glory.
 
-- Divine Intimacy (The Great Combat, Meditation 98)

We sometimes talk and reflect on the people who sat before Jesus, who saw His miracles, and yet still could not believe.  The above reflection opened my mind to an answer to their unbelief, and an insight: Jesus practiced being humble.  He only worked what, for Him, were little miracles.  He was God.  God struck the first-born of all the Egyptians in a single night.  The Jews brought their sick to Jesus one by one; but they didn’t have to.  He could have healed all of them at once, where they were, in a single night.  Why didn’t He?
As the above reflection notes, Jesus worked no brilliant miracles; He entrusted everything to the Father’s care.  Thus, even in doing great things, miracles, Jesus reflected humility.  He could have done so much more.
All my life I have known that I am blessed with many talents, and the parable of the talents haunted me: am I doing all God expected of me?  Am I multiplying, using to the fullest, the blessings He gave me?  I have seen that in earthly terms I have had much success, and even in spiritual terms I have spread His graces, helping others.  But, I rarely thought in terms of the above reflection.  Despite all His powers --- His “talents” --- Jesus practiced humility.  Notice the few sentences I wrote above describing use of my talents: “I have; I have; I have.”  Where is the humility there?  Jesus “entrusted everything to the Father’s care.”  Where is my trust?
Although He traveled about, Jesus dealt with the people put in His path.  He didn’t try to act on people He didn’t see or hear of.  Whereas, I often try to do things which impact people I don’t know.  I want to change the world --- but so did He!  And He showed us how.  He showed us it is not all up to us.  He showed us we are using our talents --- as they should be used --- when we do our best for the people He puts in our path, and trust the Father for the rest.
It’s hard to be humble.  Yes, there are missionaries who go out to change the world or far-flung places and peoples, but that is not my calling (and probably not yours).  The Father shows us what to do by the people, opportunities to use our talents, He puts in front of us.
But, it’s hard to be humble, to not look for much bigger things, bigger opportunities, to work big miracles.
My Jesus, I Trust in You (says the reminder plaque on my kitchen wall).
- - - - - - - - - -
I see this Sunday, the First Sunday of Lent, the gospel is about three people Jesus healed.  In light of the Corona Virus spread in the world, I could think of a good homily about healings.
- - - - - - - - - -
And I can’t help but like the prayerful reflection in The Better Part (#22) on this healing Gospel:
“Lord, sometimes I wish I could see Your miracles firsthand.  But many saw them and still didn’t believe.  I believe in You.  I don’t need to see any miracles.  You have given me so much and shown me so much.  One sunset is enough for me, Lord.  You are goodness itself and the source of all that is good.  I want to follow You, through sickness or health, and I want to help many others to follow you too …
Lord, at times I wish you would simply resolve all my problems right away.  But in Your wisdom, You don’t.  You know how necessary it is for me to learn how much I need You.  Humility is so hard for me!  How much peace there must be in a humble soul!  You were humble.  Lord, all that mattered to You was doing the Father’s will.  Make me like you; Thy will be done …
You know all my hidden sins and infirmities.  And yet You still reach out to touch me.  This love dazzles and disorients me.  Thank You, Jesus.  Lord Jesus, strengthen and enlighten my heart that is so weak and dark …”

No comments:

Post a Comment