Monday, November 15, 2021

In a Word ...

I have read many Gospel reflections in my days, but none like those of Erasmo Leiva-Merikakis.  I am now reading his reflections/translations of the Gospel of Saint Matthew, the last of the four volumes he required.  From the original Greek words, Erasmo re-translates that Gospel, word by word, meditating on the meaning of those words to the people of that time, and to Jesus.  In Volume 4, Erasmo finally gets to Matthew chapters 26-28, the Passion of Jesus Christ.  These meditations require 700 pages, and are most moving.  And, as I placed the bookmark where I will stop this evening, a different reflection came to me.


These four books are over 2000 pages in total.  I wondered how many people today are taking the time to read and reflect on such wonderful works, and I realized that I am probably one of a very few.  Even among my friends, few read as extensively as I do.  Finding enjoyment and spiritual growth through reading is a great blessing I have been given, mostly, by the example of my father.  Many sons may recall sporting events or activities done with their fathers as memories of his love.  My father and I did do sporting activities together, but what I recall most is the many hours of him sitting in his lounge chair quietly reading, and me quietly reading at his feet.  Television, social media and many activities became available during my life, but none compare to the joy I find in reading.

Of all the many blessings my father bestowed upon me, I think none reaches into my very being more than reading.  When you read your mind reflects, and sometimes you pause in your reading.  You are learning something very deep in your being.  I’ve sometimes thought that perhaps it might have been better if Jesus lived in more modern times, when His message could be more easily spread.  I think I understand, though, why He chose His time.  As the Gospels often reflect, Jesus loved individuals, looking into their eyes.  He knew them, and they knew that.  If the Gospels began as television, radio, DVDs or ipods, He might reach more people, but not in the depth that His personal presence or subsequent writing and reading of words conveys.  More might have heard, but not understood, for they would not reflect beyond quick self-interpretation (even as the Pharisees often did).  Today, many say “this is my truth”, which is why evangelization is difficult.  All of Jesus’ life and words, and what they REALLY mean, must be pondered.  There is TRUTH.

I am glad there are no videos of Jesus Himself for me to watch; I think I would not have known Him as well as I now do.  And I very much enjoy coming to the chapel, His house, to be in His Presence.  That’s what fathers and sons --- or very good friends --- do: they sit and enjoy each other’s company.  No words need be said aloud.  In a word, the Word must be heard in the silence of one’s heart.

For the children in my life, of relatives, neighbors and friends, I give books as presents.  I want them to know God.  I could give no greater present.

(Looking for the above image, I was astounded to learn Erasmo only recently became a monk, and that He was born one month before I was.)

 

1 comment:

  1. As I was posting this, I noticed that a very old post of mine got 8 hits today, and I went to read it again. if you have time, I think you'd find it most fitting. It is from 2010, titled: Poetic Thoughts (you can use the search engine on the side to find it)

    ReplyDelete