Friday, November 19, 2021

Let There Be Light

 

I’ve noted how senators of the Roman Empire, the advisors to Caesar, were required to be of an advanced age.  It was presumed (correctly, I think) that with age (and experience) comes an increase in wisdom.  I lay no claims to wisdom, but I do note that with the passing of years I notice and understand things which, in my youth, would have passed me by, unnoticed.  Whether triggered by words I’ve read, talks I’ve heard (like Fr. Mike’s Year of the Bible), or even quiet whispers in the back of my mind, as I grow in age I am having more “aha!” moments of discovery/insight.  And because I focus more of my time on things of God, those moments often relate to things of God.

Tonight, I sat in the back of the adoration chapel, reading my Bible and nightly prayers and reflections.  And at a certain point I felt a need to kneel and speak to God, reflections on my day.  I began with my head down, eyes closed, to think only of the conversation I was having with Him.  And, then I lifted my head and opened my eyes.  In the dimly lit chapel, I looked at the beautifully lit gold monstrance and the Host it contained on the altar --- but suddenly my eyes were drawn up much higher.  From my kneeling position, there, at the top of the domed chapel, filling a small window opening, was a beautiful full moon --- directly above that lit Host.

Aha!

                                                                        - - - - - - - - - -

 

Since this is a short posting, I'll just note another "aha!" moment.  Two days ago I found a very nice prayer card left in the adoration chapel.  It contained "The Litany of Trust", a prayer I had never seen before.  The prayer was most beautiful and I've added it to my daily prayers.  (If you search for it online, you will also find a very beautiful story of the nun who wrote it.)  But this morning I was having coffee with a friend I hadn't seen in over a year.  We completed the purpose of the meeting and were catching up on events of our lives when she said: "And I have to tell you about this Litany of Trust prayer which I have been praying for over a year, and what a difference it has made in my life."

Aha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment